Sunday, August 27, 2006

August 18, 2006: Brunetti

Update 27/1/2019: Brunetti is still trading, but has moved from Faraday Street into a huge custom-built space inside Lygon Court.

After enjoying as much of Michael’s curries as my spice-meter could take, I somehow talked him into a repeat visit to Brunetti for a late-night dessert. Well, late by Brisbane standards: Brunetti has been swarming with people on the nights that we visited at 10:30 and then 11:30, to the point where we were struggling to find a table.

Another attempt to capture immense variety of sweets within:


This time they tempted Michael, too.


He ordered the pear and cheese crumble in the background. I didn’t manage to sneak a bite before he’d gobbled it up, remarking on the richness of the ricotta and restrained sweetness provided only by the fruit.

The main feature is a slice of Opera: almond sponge with alternate layers of chocolate and coffee cream. I wasn’t completely sold on the texture of the cake: sponge that thin seems more like soggy pastry to me. The creams were extravagantly rich and a delight almost until the end, when it was almost too much for me. Another slightly less-than-perfect Brunetti experience than hasn’t diminished my intentions to visit again. And again.

Address: 194 - 204 Faraday Street, Carlton
Ph: 9347 2801
Website: www.brunetti.com.au

Categories

No comments:

Post a Comment