Friday, February 10, 2012

The Vegie Bar VII

January 28, 2012
We don't get to the Vegie Bar often, though I've had a couple of meals there since our last post - I remember a terrible pizza and a better pie with chips and salad. Carla can't stop blogging about the raw options they've started offering in the past six months so on a hot lazy night we were compelled to stop by for a quick meal.

One thing hasn't changed about the Vegie Bar - it is loud and crowded. We were crammed onto the communal table and while the staff attending to us were friendly, we were not inclined to linger.

Eager for some hydration, Michael ordered a Vitality juice (apple, celery, ginger, cucumber; $5.50) and I tested the raw shake (cacao, agave, almond milk; $7.50). They arrived long before our food and we struggled to nurse them through. This, despite barely enjoying my shake - it was full of blended almond bits that caught in my throat and didn't taste much of cocoa at all. I wouldn't buy it again.

Once he saw the (HOT!) warning, Michael was all about the Sambal Noodles ($15), a wok-tossed mixture of mock duck, veges and noodles in hoisin sauce and sambal. They weren't as hot as he'd've liked, though Michael did like the duck - it's the kind of meal that we're known to make at home.

I gave the raw tacos ($12) a shot. The dehydrated 'shell' is tasty but not quite pliable enough to take in hand, and it'll disintegrate the millisecond it comes into contact with water. So I awkwardly shovelled it all down with knife and fork - the 'mince' was surprisingly spicy and hearty, cooled a little by the iceberg lettuce strips and the guacamole; and the flavour-charged condiments (pine-nut sour cream and coriander and mint relish)  almost stood up to the 'mince'. Klutzy consumption aside, I liked this - it was satisfying and reasonably priced.

Settling the bill took far too long - it doesn't seem efficient have departing customers queue with the new arrivals out the front - but this gave us time to gaze at the dessert display and pick two slices to take home. They were enormous, well priced, simple and sweet.

It's cool to see the Vegie Bar adding some interesting raw options to an already diverse vegetarian menu, even as their customer base seems to broaden well beyond the veg*n community. I just find the hustle a hassle.
____________

You can read about many of our previous visits to the Vegie Bar: one, two, three, four, five, six.

This restaurant gets a lot of blog attention. Carla's covered the raw menu as comprehensively as she can, and raw items also appear in posts on Wayfaring Chocolate, In The Mood For Noodles and The Healthy Party Girl. Other positive write-ups appear on veg*n blogs soya et chocolat, Vegematarian, Ruby's Vegan Blog, crosslegged on the front lawn, Melbourne Vegetarian Reviews, Nouveau Potato and Black Bunny Carousel (though they've sworn off the place for a while). The Vegie Bar served Steph a pretty meh pizza; it's happened to me too.

____________

The Vegie Bar
380 Brunswick St, Fitzroy
9417 6935
veg meals $5-15

Accessibility: The Vegie Bar has a flat, wide entry but pretty crowded tables. Orders are taken at the table and bills are to be paid at a high counter. We haven't visited the toilets.

16 comments:

  1. I've only been there once which was a few years ago. I have tried to go back a couple of times, the first they hadn't opened for breakfast even though it was well past their opening time. More recently we tried to go for dinner but the queue was huge so we went elsewhere. I like the look of those noodles but would be disappointed if the heat was lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel - the entire experience tends to be pretty haphazard! And you're no doubt capable of making awesome noodle dishes at home anyway.

      Delete
  2. Some of the food at the Vegie Bar is really great, but some of it is very average.. The slightly austere staff, the noise, and the wait for a table, etc, tend to put me off.
    When it's been good, it's been very good. All of your stuff looks quite good - though disintegrating tacos are pretty frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mattheworbit - I agree with you all the way! Sometimes meh, occasionally brilliant and generally I just can't cope with the queues.

      Delete
  3. quite funny in the picture to see that they really are packed to the rafters - I haven't been for ages but I like the choice and the chocolate cake - agree about the noise and the crowds and am yet to have the option of the raw food so it must be a while since I have been there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna - my favourite part of each visit is probably looking over the menu. They really do offer an incredible range of dishes.

      Delete
  4. its unfortunate but I think you have to do the raw menu during the day when the raw chef is there... I'm glad they are offering some more raw options at night.. obviously they are slowly training the chefs to take on the raw menu...

    vegie bar is hit or miss... I've been there so much that I know exactly what to get so its always hit for me... thanks for the linkage xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah huh! Raw chef working days only, I'll keep that in mind. It's probably the raw meals (and let's be honest, THE CAKE) I'd be most inclined to go back for. Thanks for the tip, Carla.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the link! To be honest, it's only the raw options that I think make Vegie Bar worth it. Oh that felafal salad I ahd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah - after seeing your post recently I was really, really torn about ordering that felafel salad vs the tacos. If I return anytime soon, it'll be for that.

      Delete
  6. Vegie Bar has always seemed to me to be one of those places that omnis RAVE about, whereas myself and most other vegies I know tend to shrug our shoulders and say "It's okay, I guess?" Probably an indication of how spoiled we are for vegie food in this town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Hayley - I have similarly joked with other veg*ns that it's "the vegetarian restaurant that omnivores love". Us vegos really are spoiled for choice in this town!

      Delete
  7. OMG! Thank you so much for the link! You just made my day. :)

    My first meal at the Veggie Bar was a total fail (the satay tofu stir fry was bland) but it was saved by the vegan and gluten free chocolate cake (so, so delicious that I'm already planning on getting one after my half marathon in May (maybe two slices ;) ). The vegan nachos I got last time were good but it would be hard to fail on nachos...

    I'm looking forward to go back and try some of their burgers and pizzas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexe - absolutely, it is very hit and miss! I liked the burgers and hope they'll work out for you too.

      Good luck for your half marathon! I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with one of the Vegie Bar's enormous slabs of cake. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I FINALLY got to the Vegie Bar last night for the first time. Lots of items to tempt myself and a second carnivore, plus one vegetarian. All very happy with our meals, I had the Lentil Burger but am still wishing I tried the vegan nachos....
    Very noisy and sloppy service and I agree about the effort required to settle the bill.
    But the food we had made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em - I'm glad you found the food worth the hassle! I have had good experiences with the burgers too.

      Delete