Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Mercy Seat III

February 4, 2012

Edit 07/06/2012: The Mercy Seat is now closed.

We were looking for somewhere interesting to go for brekkie with Lisa on the weekend, and I realised that it had been months since we swung by The Mercy Seat. The menu has changed a bit since our earlier visits - the cheesesteak roll has been swapped for a meatball sub, and they've added a range of toasted pides.

They've also discovered that CoYo is now vegan and are offering it up in combo with bircher muesli and cranberry poached pear ($10). Cindy couldn't resist.

And she wasn't disappointed - the muesli had a few fancy touches (goji berries!), the CoYo was tangy, sweet and fatty in equal measures and the pear slices were nicely poached. A bit more fruit wouldn't go astray, but regardless it's pretty great to have a place offering up vegan yoghurt and muesli.

I wavered for a while before deciding I was ready for a meatball sub for breakfast ($9.5 + 0.5 for the vegan cheese). The meatballs come in napoli sauce with a big pile of greens and some cheese melted on top.

And it's a pretty damn hearty breakfast. The meatballs reminded me a bit of our soy-bombs, but I think they were tvp-based rather than tofu. Either way they were delicious. The bun is a bit on the bready side, but that's minor quibbling - check it out if you've got any nostalgia for gross Subway meatballs.

It's hard to go up to the counter and order without getting your eye drawn to the Crumbs-sourced jam doughnuts (I've forgotten the price, sorry!).

We split this three ways. And it was awesome. Next time there'll be no splitting.

The Mercy Seat is great, with decent coffee, great food and friendly staff - to be honest I'm surprised it's not overrun with the folks who are jamming up the Gasometer every night (maybe they're sleeping in later than 9:30).
____________

The Mercy Seat gets consistently good reviews. Since we visited last, Veganise This! (twice) and Mel: Hot or Not sampled the savouries, while In the Mood for Noodles enjoyed their range of vegan and GF treats.

____________

The Mercy Seat
31 Johnston Street, Collingwood
no phone
brekkies $7.5 - $10, lunches $10-$12
Facebook page

Accessibility: Flat entryway with a small step between the front room and the room with the counter (which is where you order and pay). It's fairly spacious and easy to get around, although we didn't suss out the bathroom situation.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! I love meatball sandwiches (though I've never had a Subway version). So often the bread is too "bready"; you want a roll that is awesome, but showcases the filling here, like what you get with a good burger bun. I actually think that Vietnamese rolls make the best meatball subs, in case you're thinking of trying at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, lexi! While I'm sure that there's also a degree of personal preference involved, the right bun is so important - sturdy enough to support the filling, but not so heavy or crusty that it distracts.

      Delete
  2. veg meatball sub - I really must get down there! sounds like an excellent brunch spot - damn I gave up the opportunity to head that way with E on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth chasing up, Johanna! I think it would be reasonably Sylvia-friendly too, though they don't sell chippies.

      Delete
  3. Oh yum, I need to get there asap!

    I love that Cindy has a sweet tooth like me and Mike is more savory (like my boyfriend). I can make sure there'll be something for both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alexe - don't miss this one! Sounds like we're a good reviewing match for each other. :-)

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to go back and try one of their pides, although I always find it hard to pass on the blackened tofu and mushroom burger. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mel! Michael is obsessed with that burger too. Maybe I'll have to try it next time...

      Delete