Tuesday, August 04, 2009

August 2, 2009: Zippy warm potato salad

For Sunday night's dinner I planned chickpea burgers. Our favourite burger side is oven-baked potato 'chips' but with 4-6 eaters expected and 8 burger patties prepped, the oven couldn't fit my side-dish wish. My online recipe stash failed to inspire and I pulled out a few choice recipe books - here I found what I was after almost immediately! A 'warm potato salad with green olive dressing' from vegie food, with all heating provided atop the stove.

Though it looked to be precisely what I wanted, I prepared myself for some disappointment. Most of the photos in vegie food show food that's just my style, yet for every great recipe we've tried, there's been one with terrible timing or quantities.

Thankfully this one was bang on. It takes little more than the 15 minutes the potatoes need to boil - time I had while the burgers were baking. All the spuds need then is a quick toss through a zippy dressing of lemon and olive oil, green olives, capers, parsley and garlic. Served hot, it's everything I was after in a chip replacement. Served at room temperature, I reckon it'd make a lovely alternative to the standard mayo-drowned picnic potato salad.


Zippy warm potato salad
(from vegie food)

1.5 kg small waxy potatoes
1/2 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
2 teaspoons capers, chopped
3/4 cup parsley, chopped
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes or until just tender (test them with a knife).

While the potatoes are boiling, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

When the potatoes are done, drain and cool them just until you're able to handle them. Slice the potatoes into large chunks, then toss them through the dressing.

Serve the salad warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm I adore warm potato salads and this one has all my favourites! I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like it, Vegetation! I just made it again for a barbecue last weekend and it was a hit there too. :-)

    ReplyDelete