Tuesday, October 16, 2007

October 8, 2007: Creamy cabbage

On our recent visit to Williamstown, I gamely invested in a new cookbook. I say 'gamely' because, unlike many food bloggers, I'm trying not to amass too large a collection of cookbooks. (I'm a rebel in a long family line of hoarders and feel guilty about owning anything that I don't actually make use of.) Besides, you may have noticed that the new dishes we prepare at home are more often inspired by other food bloggers than by anything printed on paper. So it's a high compliment that the anonymously authored vegie food took my fancy as I idly flicked through it in a gift shop.

Even more improbable than my impulse purchase of this book (no dessert recipes - can you imagine?!) was my first choice of recipe, a side dish of cabbage. While I've never hated cabbage as such, it's never really excited me either. But it seemed just the right combination of subtle flavour, fresh texture and nutrient richness to prepare alongside our two pies from TOFWD. This creamy cabbage was even tastier than I hoped - the gentle cooking toned down a texture that can be rubbery when raw, and the flavour was very savoury and buttery. Michael and I enjoyed this so much that we ate the leftovers with simple old toast the night after.

Creamy cabbage

1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
2 leeks, sliced thinly
500g cabbage, sliced thinly
juice of half a lemon
5 tablespoons cream or creme fraiche
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

In a large frypan, heat the oil and butter, then add the mustard seeds and cook until they pop. Add the leeks and cook them until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, turn the heat down to low, and cook for a further 4 minutes until it, too, has softened.

Season the mix with salt and pepper, add the lemon juice and cream, then cook for a minute more. Finally, add the parsley and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Good on you for trying not to collect too many cookbooks... I just can't resist the urge! :) That cabbage recipe looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dessert???????? They couldn't GIVE me that book!!! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agnes, I can imagine the temptation! I especially like to look at the photographs but can usually put them back on the shelf. :-)

    Haha, Vida, I have a couple of dessert-only cookbooks to redress the balance thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, you are back in the good books, pardon the pun!!! V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for showing such resolve Cindy! I have amassed soooo many cookbooks (don't even get me started on food magazines!) that it really is getting beyond a joke about where exactly i'm meant to store them in my itty bitty flat. As for cooking anything out of them, i'm under no illusions on the real reason i buy these: the drool factor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, Serenity Later, I understand the drool factor! I think that's the main reason I bought a Nigella Lawson book last year - all those dripping, coloured baked goods. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cabbage, the green stuff, has never really done it for me either, but this? Sounds luscious Cindy.

    I think it's the savoury factor that's been missing from all my previous attempts. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lucy - I think this is your kind of recipe.

    ReplyDelete