Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 14, 2007: Spinach kofta and eggplant raita

It's been a while since Michael and I prepared Indian food at home, but as usual I've had a few appetising recipes from other bloggers tucked away. These super-healthy baked spinach kofta come from SusanV's Fatfree Vegan Kitchen and they're fantastic. The main reason they were fantastic this time was because Michael made them, but they're also special for maintaining a golden crunchy crust even without frying.

We were clearly going to need some sauce for the kofta and some more veges to complete the meal, and I found both of these in Mallika's recipe for eggplant raita over at Quick Indian Cooking. Unfortunately I couldn't locate any mango powder, but these were still a winner. The eggplant slices added plenty of substance and a little extra spice, and the yoghurt brought some much-needed moisture to pair with the dry kofta. Next time I make these (and you can bet your bottom dollar there'll be a next time), I'll add a lot more yoghurt so that there's plenty to slather over the kofta. Also, I'll try adding salt to the eggplants' soaking water to leach out a bit of the bitterness - sadly, my market-sourced eggplants were past their prime.

We followed the recipes to the letter, so head over to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen and Quick Indian Cooking to recreate them for yourself.

October is Vegetarian Awareness Month and to celebrate, Margot is hosting a blog event over at Coffee & Vanilla. We'd like to submit this, our favourite vegetarian dish of the month, to the event. If you're visiting from Margot's site, welcome! You might like to browse through our Recipes index, because we're all vegetarian all the time and we have lots of tasty dishes to share.

9 comments:

  1. Cindy, this looks delicious, will you being it to Vegout?? Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this all look so good. I've never heard of mango powder. There is always something new to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vida, I wasn't planning to but that's not a bad idea!

    KJ, I couldn't even locate the mango powder at the nearby Indian grocery so it must be an unusual one. However I just noticed that they sell it at Herbie's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, amchor powder is available at The Essential Ingredients, too. It is a sour agent, so I normally substitute it with tamarind paste if I run out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that tip, Anh! I really like the sour tang of tamarind, so I think I'm going to like amchor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,
    Thank you for your beautiful entry for VAM! :)

    Greetings, Margot

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is unusual amchoor (mango powder). My mom only introduced it to me a few years ago. By the way, I am feeling very tempted to turn veggie after being inspired by "Skinny bitch" a fab diet book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi cindy - thanks for your message about bloggers event - unfortunately I am not able to give much attention to food at the moment but hope maybe another time down the track! Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to contribute, Margot. :-)

    Thanks for visiting, Mallika! I have heard good things about that book but not read it - will have to chase it down.

    No worries, Johanna! I'm sorry we won't be seeing you there.

    ReplyDelete