Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 20, 2008: Ici III

Update, June 15, 2023: Ici has been replaced by Napier Quarter.
Update, August 1 2013: More news from Fitzroyalty! Looks like Ici is reopening very soon. 
Update, July 5 2013: As reported by Fitzroyalty, Cafe Ici has closed down.

I suspect that the inner north of Melbourne boasts the best range of breakfasts in the country, and we were keen to share the bounty with L on Saturday morning. Having recently confirmed that Min Lokal's baked eggs are still the best of a rather good bunch, Michael led L and I to this small George St cafe. Alas, word has spread and they were horrendously busy (good luck to them!). Surprisingly Ici, just round the corner and with a reputation for long waits, had space to accommodate us straight away.

The one savoury respite from eggs is the homemade tofu ($16.50) with white bean miso paste, spinach and tamari. Michael and I both wavered over it, and ultimately it was Michael who ordered it. He wasn't disappointed - the miso paste and tofu made a great couple and he cleared his plate in near-record time.

It was upstaged, however, by the spring eggs ($15.50). These usually come with pancetta, but it was our waitress who suggested that I sub it out for a vegetarian extra. I chose avocado, in addition to the eggs (scrambled for me), chargrilled asparagus, fetta, slow-roasted tomato and rocket salad already on offer. It was a marvellous mountain of food; rich yet fresh and topped with a creamy, tangy dressing. I made my way through about two thirds of it, relishing every mouthful, and Michael made short work of the remainder.

Up top you can see the porridge, which put a smile on L's face. There's also a fine-looking stack of French toast and berries available for the sweet tooth. Ici is a little pricier than most of its competitors but it always offers high quality food. Given the friendly service and minimal wait on this visit, I felt no regret as I paid the bill - we'd received excellent value for money.
____________

You can read our previous visits to Ici here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Your porrige is smiling! Am I the only person in the world who is creeped out by food arranged in the shape of a face? I can't handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's L's handiwork - hope it didn't scare ya. :-)

    ReplyDelete