Monday, December 08, 2008

December 6, 2008: Strawberry & rhubarb pudding

I've no idea why I thought of this 18-month-old pudding recipe from Food Blogga on the weekend, much less why I baked it. But I did, and it was a fine thing. Perhaps it could have done with some vanilla essence, or a teaspoon of ground ginger, but it seems petty to disparage the pink, fruity pleasure it already is. It's more fruit than pudding and more pudding than my favourite pudding dish can handle. So I poured half of it into my second-favourite pudding dish and saved it for later. Not much later, mind - Michael's already eaten half of it! You'll have no problem doing the same if you're partial to rhubarb.


Strawberry and rhubarb pudding
(taken from Food Blogga, who was inspired by a recipe by Jill Dupleix)

600g rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch lengths
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
100g butter, softened
2 eggs
100mL milk

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a large baking dish, and drop the rhubarb and strawberries into the bottom of it. Sprinkle them with the brown sugar, then with a couple tablespoons of water.

In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.

In a larger bowl, beat together the butter and sugar, adding the eggs one at a time and continuing to beat until it's all well combined. Continue to beat the mixture slowly, adding a third of the flour mixture, then half the milk, alternating again until they're all incorporated.

Spoon the batter over the fruit and smooth over the top a little. Bake the pudding for about 40 minutes, until it's golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, a good seasonal one too. I wish my strawberry plants were more productive! They seem to be teasing me with one fruit every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, strawberries and pudding in one combination! Theres a couple of strawberry festivals coming up, so I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. strawberries and rhubarb! what a killer (in a good way). Last summer in Lorne, we went to that posh place Marks and my dad got a strawberry, rhubarb and apple crumble. One of the best combinations possible!
    Thanks for posting that. Good old Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! I have also eyed off this recipe and thought I should make it sometime - I like your hierarchy of pudding dishes - if only recipes could relate to the dishes in my cupboard I would be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pudding is always a fine thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Arwen! I'm sure your home-grown strawberries are delicious, even if they are rare. :-)

    It is indeed a winning combination, Maria. You've got me searching for strawberry festivals, now...

    You're welcome, Cathy! I think I first sampled rhubarb in a crumble, too - it was marvellous.

    Johanna, I like making use of the odd set of dishes I already own but am occasionally hit with this kind of spillover. :-D

    Indeed it is, Hayley! And enjoyable almost year-round here in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete