Friday, August 24, 2012

Healthier halava

Breakfast serial part xvi
August 19, 2012


Our vege boxes have recently tended towards more fruit than vegetables. Though I faithfully take an apple to work each day, bananas and oranges pile up in the fruit bowl, overflowing onto the table. Peeling and freezing bananas delayed the problem a while, but they still needed eating. It's too cold for smoothies and I wasn't in the mood for my usual banana baking... somehow I hit on the idea of mashing bananas into halava

This actually proved the perfect remedy for my reservations about the original recipe. The bananas' sweetness and smoothness meant I could cut the sugar by another half, and the butter by almost as much. The texture's different, too. Fresh out of the saucepan this halava is mushier and less fluffy than the original, and then it stays soft and silky after days in the fridge.instead of setting to a grainy fudge.

I've been eating my breakfast pudding alternately with a mug of hot tea or a glass of cold milk.


Healthier halava
(adapted from this recipe)

3 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
40g sultanas
grated zest of 2 oranges
100g butter
1 1/2 cups semolina
1/3 cup walnut pieces
3/4 cup dates, chopped
3 bananas

In a medium-large saucepan, stir together the water, sugar, sultanas and orange zest. Bring them to the boil, with a couple of stirs along the way to dissolve the sugar, then turn the heat off and set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the semolina and gently roast it in the butter for 20 minutes, stirring regularly for even cooking. Add the walnuts at the 10-minute mark. It should smell great once it's done!

Gradually pour the sugar syrup into the semolina, stirring as you go. Keep stirring the pudding, letting the grains soak up all the liquid. When it's all absorbed, mash the bananas and fold them in, then stir in the dates. Cover the saucepan with a lid and take it off the heat, allowing the pudding to steam like this for about 10 minutes before serving.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful! I have a few bananas piling up in the freezer, this looks like a good use for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Just be sure to thaw out the bananas in advance so that they're mashable. I was impatient and a little messy with mine. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh my heavens, this sounds wonderful! I'd have to leave out the orange and top it, warm, with crunchy peanut butter melting over it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah - the original recipe uses lemon instead of orange if you prefer that, but skipping the citrus and reaching straight for the peanut butter is a totally acceptable approach. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a breakfast treat that's worth trying! As I don't have a super sweet tooth I probably could cut down the sugar even more and make it even healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi leaf! Yes, once the dried fruit and banana go in you could probably just about skip the sugar altogether.

      Delete
  4. Now this is halva that I'd actually like with all that delicious fruit. The traditional halva is just not my bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw! I've never quite 'got' some of the other versions either.

      Delete