Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Elvis waffles

August 26, 2012


This breakfast is basically a dare. Michael joked that I could stuff some leftover coconut bacon into waffles, I was reminded of an Elvis cake that Lisa made earlier this year and, as if to spite Michael and common decency itself, I vowed to make Elvis waffles.

The formula wasn't all that complicated. I made the peanut butter waffle batter from Vegan Brunch, stirred in some coconut bacon, made an unholy mess with the waffle iron, then topped my waffle with a banana and slosh of maple syrup.

And it was... fine. Not amazing, not awful. It tasted like the things it was made of; they didn't clash revoltingly, they didn't meld into something new. While the concept was good for a laugh, the flavour of this dish was slightly less than the sum of its parts. That is, I think waffles and coconut bacon can both do so much more in other separate incarnations.

6 comments:

  1. probably just as well it wasn't amazing as it just seems an unhealthy breakfast - though your version is probably so much healthier than elivis's. I found that coconut bacon is great when it works but weird when it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna - yes, although it seems ridiculously unhealthy it wasn't terrible! There's very little oil involved.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps if the peanut butter was melted all over the top, as I'm wont to do... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I did actually find that the peanut butter in the waffle gave it a crumbly texture, we'd probably both be better off melting it over the top instead. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh so so so heavenly gorgeous! I tried your version (it made a mess too) ...here's mine: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=408812265844252&set=a.374662782592534.84802.294516593940487&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey chompandslurp - that's some nice work. Glad to spread the waffle love around. :-)

      Delete