Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 7, 2009: Chunky choc-cherry-almond cookies

Though it doesn't look like anything special, this cookie has made my week. This adaptation of the chunky monkey cookie just might pass for an empty-calorie choc-flavoured carb-fest, fooling even the anti-banana brigade. Here's how I mixed it up:
  • I went all the way and used only wholemeal flour and it didn't diminish the experience one bit. In fact it made my afternoon snack more filling and satisfying.
  • I upped the cocoa from 1/3 to 1/2 cup for madly chocolatey experience.
  • I used smooth instead of my usually-favourite crunchy peanut butter.
  • While I used mashed bananas for binding, I left out the extra chunky one and added some dried cherries and blanched almonds instead.
  • Instead of making trays and trays of dainty bites, I went all out an fashioned a dozen mega-cookies.
Supersized and studded with red and white treats, these feel like something I could've bought from some fancy company, even though I had everything I needed to make them already stashed in my pantry.

3 comments:

  1. Can I put in an order for one of these? This looks delicious!!! Might have to try one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, all you need is a mega-cookie :) Love the addition of cherries - a bit of tartness would work wonders, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot tip: regular grocery stores only sell un-ripe and ripe bananas. The super-cheap Vietnamese fruit and veg places on Victoria St, Richmond, sell over-ripe (and super-over-ripe-verging-on-off) bananas for a steal, so you can get cooking straight away.

    ReplyDelete