Tuesday, December 01, 2009

November 30, 2009: Animal Orchestra

Update 15/06/2023: Animal Orchestra is now closed.

It's funny that this is the first time we've blogged Animal Orchestra. Michael and I first encountered this cosy cafe before we'd even moved to Melbourne; we were staying at an antiquated hotel down the street while attending a conference and stopped there for several lovely breakfasts. A converted terrace house with calm smiling staff, charming furniture and trendy academic customers, Animal Orchestra seemed like the kind of cafe that was typical of Melbourne and nowhere to be found in our hometown of Brisbane. A year later, now living nearby, this was where Michael first sampled his current breakfast favourite, baked eggs.

I don't think the menu has changed much in the intervening years, but nor do I mind. For lunch there's a blackboard of panini, including two vegetarian options - grilled veges or a more novel mixture of mushrooms, chilli, garlic, roasted almonds and fontina (each $9). When Michael and I met up for lunch on Monday, we both went with the latter. Though it's not particularly elegant, this panini is terrific - juicy, earthy and savoury, pepped up with that chilli heat.

Address: 163 Grattan St, Carlton
Ph: 9349 4944
Licensed
Price: veg panini $9

7 comments:

  1. ooh, I love the animal orchestra's mushroom panini.. I come here a lot, strangely, I never blog about this place. you should definitely try their sticky date pudding with ice cream. yummmm....!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love sticky date pudding! I've never yet had dessert here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been here for ages, since I graduated. I miss all the cafes around there!

    xox Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I miss this place, I used to go there all the time when I was at uni. Used to love the fact that I could wander in there at 4 in the afternoon and get a huge bowl of muesli with poached pears, the best remedy for a head-hurty day of study!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah and Hayley - you could try returning for a nostalgia trip in the evening sometime, I think they also do dinner these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you got a pic of the picture collage on the wall - love it and love the soups here - always a meal in a bowl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johanna, I haven't tried the soups but if they're that good this must be the perfect spot for a winter lunch - it's such a cozy cafe!

    ReplyDelete