Friday, June 06, 2008

June 3, 2008: Caramelised onion and fennel tart

I'm not sure that the picture above does justice to this savoury tart, though caramelised onions are rarely pretty things. However, I've learned what a mellow delicacy they are and am no longer repelled by their appearance. Nor should you be - this tart is a perfect light autumn meal with a short list of ingredients and straight-forward preparation. Just toss together a salad of green leaves while it's in the oven and you're done!

The recipe belongs to Dayna, with her perpetual Vegan Visitors, and you can check it out on her blog. Though she recommends that it can be served warm or chilled, I'd urge you to to enjoy it fresh. Puff pastry is never quite the same at any other time, though I must admit that the onions took on the most intriguing blue tinge a day later!

6 comments:

  1. The blue onions can occur in those onion and olive rolls we made on the bread day, too. I don't really know the science behind it but we avoided it in the rolls by adding a bit of vinegar.
    I guess the same thing might work here but could mess a bit with the balance. Just another good reason to eat the whole tart at once, i guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! These may be the only two occasions that I've slow-cooked red onions rather than brown ones.

    I was actually reminded of this blog post, which I originally read last year. Garlic usually seems to be involved when things go blue-green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks lovely. Tarts are big here in summer - just made a chilli cod and haddock tart. With pre-made pastry though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mallika! This was frozen puff pastry, so not much effort on my part. I don't mind pulling out the food processor and making a shortcrust though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ZOMG. I was just thinking about caramelized onions today and how tasty they are. You made the craving 100x stronger!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Submit to the temptation, Choc_Puddin - they're so good! :-)

    ReplyDelete