Monday, June 23, 2008

June 15, 2008: Satay burger sauce

As a feeble excuse to blog those chickpea cutlets again, here's a satay burger sauce recipe. It's ultra-thick for minimum drippage, sweet and crunchy. However, ours came up short on the heat level - I just didn't add enough red chilli flakes. I think a 'lil fresh red chilli would really liven this up next time.

The recipe comes from a list of Award-Winning Veggie Burger Recipes, taken from Vegetarian Voice magazine (though I found it at Yeah, That "Vegan" Shit). That's a recipe list we'd do well to work our way through, isn't it? Maybe it'll develop into a series of themed posts. It'll be difficult to tear myself away from those chickpea cutlets, though - this time I tried one of Lisa's adaptations, using crushed Vita Brits instead of breadcrumbs. I didn't detect any difference in the patties and this is the more convenient approach in this household - when Michael's not sampling Melbourne's cafe-poached eggs he's inhaling a bucketful of Vita Brits and muesli, so they're always, always on hand.

Satay Burger Sauce

Finely dice/mince 1 small onion, 1 clove of garlic and 1 red chilli. Heat 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a saucepan and saute the onion, garlic and chilli until the onion is translucent. Stir in 1 cup of natural crunchy peanut butter until it has melted. Add 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (we just used soy sauce and a splash of rice wine vinegar), 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon tomato paste, 1 teaspoon tahini and salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for ten minutes, then serve over your favourite burger recipe.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea for a veggie burger. I don't think I've seen that recipe before so thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the weetbix worked, I use it as a binder quite often. The only time it gets a bit weird is when something is meant to have a breadcrumb coating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that veggie burger looks fab - and thanks for the reminder I must buy some wheat gluten and try these burgers - was at allergy block just the other day trying to remember what it was I needed to buy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Mallika. :-)

    Lisa, I'll have to try utilising weetbix more often, though I guess I'll steer clear of crumbing tofu with it. :-D

    Thanks, Johanna! I knew there must be a good reason to repeat-post a special recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete