Sunday, June 01, 2008

June 1, 2008: Pumpkin spelt muffins II

After a year-long hiatus, I had another shot at these pumpkin and spelt muffins. And I made some changes:
  • I had a bottle of pear juice concentrate at the ready to substitute for the tedious hour and a half taken to reduce a litre of apple juice to syrup;
  • Since the pear juice now lacked an opportunity to be infused with peppercorns, cinnamon sticks and coriander seeds, I blended in 1/4 teaspoon of each of these spices, ground;
  • I folded in chopped 86% cocoa chocolate.
Adding minimally-sweetened chocolate to these soft, sticky muffins had just the effect I had hoped for. These muffins feel completely indulgent, break up my workday afternoon, and are a superior choice to the overpriced chocolate bars in the neighbouring food court.

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I love the ramekin you used, very cute!

    xox Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I like the idea of the mods you made - think I might give them a go now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah! I actually only resorted to the ramekins after I filled up my muffin tray, but they were the prettiest of the lot. :-)

    Thanks, Wheeler's.

    Anna, be warned that they are still a bit fiddly! Baking pumpkin, using the food processor, beating egg whites and gently folding it all together - they are definitely a weekend job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look SO tasty, Cindy!!! If you ever decide to open a cafe and have these on the menu, I would buy them EVERY DAY! But I don't think I have the patience to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jaye! Yes, they sadly take quite a bit of effort - it took me over a year to try them the second time. :-D

    ReplyDelete