Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Brother Bon V

May 1 & 24, 2024

   

The quality of these photos is poor, but it's been over a year since I last mentioned how fond I am of Brother Bon and I think we all need the reminder. Brother Bon is very nearly on the path I cycle between home and my workplace, and a couple of times lately I've stopped in for a convenient and tasty dinner on my way home. The menu set-up is currently very elaborate - a double-sided placemat-sized sheet of the standard menu, a flip-book of drinks, a smaller dessert menu, and a page of specials. Just dozens of things to choose from, and all of them vegan!

The plate above is the broken rice ($27), one of those lovely sampler meals where you can create a new flavour combination with every mouthful. The mound of broken rice is topped with a fried mock-egg, there's some magnificent marinated and charred chicken, a varied vermicelli mix, a complex nuoc mam to spread all around, and a trail of refreshing tomato and cucumber slices.

   

A couple of weeks later I was seeking something relatively small, and was very satisfied by the dragon roll special ($21). So much is packed into these sushi pieces! Mock chicken and fresh vegetables are artfully rolled in nori and sushi rice, tiled with avocado, squirted with sriracha mayo, sprinkled with sesame seeds and fried shallots, then served alongside the usual soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi.

I hope my descriptions will appetise you more than my photos might put you off - Brother Bon has so many fun vegan dishes to offer! I also noticed on one of these visits that they offer the opportunity to buy someone in need a meal, with the docket pinned to a board that's visible from the door. I hope by now that someone else has enjoyed the second broken rice plate I bought as much as I enjoyed the first one.
____________

You can read about one, two, three and four of our previous visits to Brother Bon. Since that last post it's also received praise from That Vegan Dad.
____________

Brother Bon 
377-379 High St, Northcote 
9077 1335 

Accessibility: The entry is flat and tables are moderately spaced. Most tables are low and paired with backed chairs; there are also high benches along the front window with backless stools. I ordered at my table and paid at a low-ish counter. Toilets are individual non-gendered cubicles with a shared sink space. A cubicle I have used included menstrual product disposal, and another one was marked for both wheelchair access and a baby change station.

No comments:

Post a Comment