Monday, December 27, 2021

Brother Bon II

December 15, 2021

   

Throughout 2020 and 2021 we've been enjoying meals from Brother Bon in our home. They're one of the few restaurants that co-ordinated their own deliveries, and we could always plan out a delicious set of vegan dishes that would extend beyond dinner to a leftover lunch or two. Dark, locked-down nights with boxed foods don't make for the best photographs, so I didn't blog these meals.

The photos within this post aren't my best, either, but I just can't hold off any longer because Brother Bon now serves my favourite ever fish'n'chips!    

   

I ordered this once or twice as a delivery, and I just knew its texture would be even better when I had the opportunity to eat it straight from kitchen to table in the restaurant ($24.90). The vegan fish substitute is banana blossom, which is lighter and flakier than most of the gluten-based mock fishes I've known. The Brother Bon chefs apply a spice rub to the banana blossom before battering and frying it to a dark golden crisp.

   

Both the battered mock-fish and the accompanying chips have unusually good seasonings. I also appreciate that this meal comes with some side salad, mushy peas, tartare sauce and a wedge of lemon to break up the deep-fry-fest. I shared some of my fish around the table and boxed up half of the chips to take home.

   

While I was revelling in an all-time favourite meal, Michael had a very enjoyable Char Kway Teow ($22.50), choosing mock-chicken from the six (!) protein options on offer.

The Brother Bon team have made gradual improvements to their restaurant setting over the years - what once felt a bit like a food court is now more subtly lit and relaxed. The service is excellent, and the menu only seems to get better too. I'm hoping we have many more opportunities to eat in at Brother Bon in 2022.
____________

You can read about my first visit to Brother Bon here.
____________

Brother Bon
377-379 High St, Northcote
9077 1335
menu page 1, 2

Accessibility: The front door is very wide and slides, floors are flat and tables are moderately spaced. We ordered at our table and paid at a low-ish counter. We haven't visited the toilets, but I previously spotted a disability-labelled unisex toilet down a wide corridor at the back of the building.

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely that they were able to organise home deliveries during lock down! And lovely that you are finally able to get back to eat there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always thought it was a nice restaurant (I think we and Zuckerbaby even ate there together when they used to be Loving Hut?), but they have really won my loyalty in the past year or two. :)

      Delete