Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 9, 2010: Oven-baked taro chips

I've eaten taro on a few occasions but never brought it into my kitchen before winning one at the lab culinary competition.  I briefly considered trying my hand at a taro-based dessert but preferred to do something simpler where I might get a clearer taste of the vegetable itself.

So I made taro chips! I wussed out of deep-frying, just slicing the peeled taro thinly and baking it with a spray of oil and a little salt (Martha Stewart promised it would work). They need a careful eye on them to avoid burning; cutting them all to the same thickness helps too. I was pleased just how crunchy even these oven-baked chips were. Like the choko, they didn't really have a striking flavour - they were just starchy, salty, crunchy and fun.

4 comments:

  1. Yum!! What a good idea. I am not mad on taro's grainy, mushy texture when cooked so this is a great way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, taro! I tried these taro dumplings a while ago at Cookie in the city and they were yummo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another simple taro dessert that is addictive is sugared taro. All you do is par-boil large cubes of taro. Then you coat them in lots of sugar and pan fry them until the sugar forms large crystallised lumps. That's it. So bad for you but so amazingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanh, that sounds like a recipe I can handle. :-)

    ReplyDelete