Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 10, 2010: Linda McCartney vegetarian sausage rolls

On a recent trip to Radical Grocery, Michael picked up a box of Linda McCartney brand vegetarian sausage rolls.  They're totally vegan and can go straight from the freezer to the oven.

I did not hold high hopes for the pastry but it was actually rather good!  Though it looked heavy and not particularly golden, it was surprisingly flaky.  The wheat protein-based filling was less impressive, having a rather rubbery texture and very little flavour.  (Veganator recently noted that Linda McCartney country pies don't taste of much either.)  These are probably no worse than most meat-based sausage rolls available at your local supermarket but they're poor cousins to what La Panella (and dare I say it, I) can conjure up.

7 comments:

  1. most sausage rolls are a poor cousin to what you can conjure up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I had a sneaking admiration for these before I met your sausage rolls - now I have been spoilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame that they're not that great in the taste department. I've heard so much about the brand from UK vegans but I don't have the need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph and Johanna, you are too kind. :-)

    Mandee, I think you might do just fine sticking with Funky Pies! I've also heard that Fry's sausage rolls are good, though we haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fairly positive I had Linda McCartney's chili when I was in England this year, and it was rather tasty (albeit small in portion). I didn't realise her products were available here in Australia, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah, I'm not sure how widely they're distributed here in Australia... Anikee from Rad Grocery is particularly adept at tracking down obscure vegan goodies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *insert token grumbling about Canberra here* ;)

    ReplyDelete