Thursday, March 29, 2012

Chipotle carrot chips

March 24, 2012
I have a deep and abiding love for potato chips and when I crave potato chips, I will accept no substitute. Thankfully I wasn't particularly fixed on potato chips when I tried this recipe for carrot chips and they forged their own identity as a tasty snack or side. Carrots roast up sweetly and softly, not quite as fluffy as a potato but far less soggy than a sweet potato. The charred bits crisp up delicately but teeter on all-out burning.

While we're on the topic of burning, these chips are dressed in chipotle chili for some extra smoky heat, à la Tofu for Two. I cooled them down with a little mayonnaise and I imagine that the original accompanying avocado dip is even better.


Chipotle carrot chips
(a recipe from Tofu for Two)

2 teaspoons mashed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
a dash of olive oil
4 medium-large carrots
salt

Preheat an oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with paper.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mashed chiles and olive oil. Chop the carrots into sticks (not too fine!) and toss them in the chipotle dressing until evenly coated all over. Spread the carrot sticks out on the baking tray so that they're a well-spaced as possible. Sprinkle over some salt and bake until tender and caramelised, 20-40 minutes. Toss them at least once as they bake. (The original recipe says they take up to 50 minutes, but ours needed only half that - presumably they were a lot thinner.)

Serve with a cooling condiment.

10 comments:

  1. Yum yum! I happen to love chips of all varieties. I had some delicious sweet potato rosemary chips recently - these look really good, and much more healthy... surely? right? Right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey vegiebug - yeah, totally healthy! Not too much oil at all. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooh those carrot chips sound so delicious, I am going to have to make these this next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Southern Purple Veggie! Hope you like 'em. :-)

      Delete
  3. Roasted carrots are about my favourite roasted vegetable and I have always cut them into sticks like this because that's the way my mum always did. A little bit of charring is a wonderful thing, IMO. I absolutely LOVE the sound of adding chipotles in adobo to them, I'll be trying this out very soon. And I must confess to being a potato chip addict too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel - that's funny, I have always tended to roast carrots in big semi-cylindrical chunks because that's the way my mum always did it. :-D

      Delete
  4. It was always a treat when mum added carrots to our standard baked potatos and sweet potatoes for dinner, but I haven't made them myself since moving out! Thank you for the reminder. I so wish I could find chipotle in adobo in Canberra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, seriously, we gotta get you stocked up on those chillis next time you're in town - they last forever and are awesome.

      Delete
  5. I am not a big fan of chips but I think I would be a massive fan of these! I love carrots in most forms and this pairing with chipotle in adobo sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kari! It's definitely a recipe for carrot lovers as well as chip lovers. :-)

      Delete