Thursday, October 27, 2011

Trippy Taco IV

October 22, 2011
Trippy Taco have been warning us of their impending relocation for many months - finally they've made the move just around the corner to Gertrude St! There's just barely more seating than their previous premises but the kitchen appears to have increased capacity (surely a good strategy given their popularity). Unfortunately it's not much easier to queue or wait for takeaways.

Though we'd heard rumours of an expanded menu, it looks the same for the moment. No complaints there - it's all vegetarian, with abundant vegan and gluten-free options. I gave the nachos a shot for the first time. Would you believe this is a small ($9.50) portion?! It's a full meal for me. While there's not a lot of spice or complexity, there's plenty of toppings and not too much congealed cheese (my pet nacho hate).

The new Trippy Taco's not so different to the old Trippy Taco - but why mess with the formula when so many like it? It's cheap, filling and boasts more fresh veg than your average takeaway. (The chips are pretty great too!) We'll be back any time we can find an empty seat.
____________

You can read about some of our previous visits to Trippy Taco here, here and here.


____________

Trippy Taco
234 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
9415 7711
veg mains $6-15.50

Accessibility: There's a small step on entry and the tables are fairly crowded inside. Ordering and payment occurs at a high counter.

10 comments:

  1. thanks for the lower case! you guys! xxx

    ps the chips ARE really good nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trippy Taco is my favourite place to eat in the WHOLE WORLD. Actually. The fact that I'm in Brisbane and can't eat there often may have blown it way out of proportion, though. It is seriously just pure awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that their new location is FINALLY open! While looking at these pics, my tummy told me in no uncertain terms that it's time for another visit. Can't wait yum yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place is absolutely packed in the new location. I think they may need to expand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only been there once, but I really enjoyed the food. Must check them out at their new location.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh it's about time!! Can't wait to give the new locale a try - heading that direction on the weekend actually... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, man! They DEFINITELY need to expand! I've tried eating there the last two times I've been in Melb and it simply hasn't happened because the line has been out the door! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to the new one a couple weeks before you guys did, it was bursting at the seams! I suspect they chose that spot purely for the lane way next to it. It's like free seating for another 30 customers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would just like to point out that this place is not in fact vegetarian if you eat the cheese option...their cheese contains rennet (an ingredient taken from dead baby cows stomach's)

    ReplyDelete