Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 25-27, 2008: Melbourne, the land of chocolate

I knew that whenever Katy eventually made it to Melbourne, we'd have to go on a chocolate-themed excursion. I initially planned to join an organised tour but when they were booked out on our only available day, I figured I could easily plan my own. All it took was a notebook and 15 minutes on the internet!

To prevent any incidence of chocolate fatigue, we actually got a head start by eating two chocolatey desserts out on the town before the Day of Chocolate.
________

Our first stop was Cacao in St Kilda, towards the end of our Friday visit to the south side. I sampled three:
  • Rose: milk chocolate ganache flavoured with rose water, crumbled roasted pistachios and dipped in white chocolate.
  • Ruby: blood orange caramel filling and dark chocolate.
  • Safran: citrus caramel ganache, milk chocolate ganache with infused saffron, dipped in dark chocolate.
They were all beautiful to look at and had a lovely creamy texture. However I found the special flavours too subtle and the chocolate too sweet.

________


Hours later, after dinner at Guru Da Dhaba, Mike and Jo-Lyn coaxed us to San Churro in Fitzroy for dessert. Katy and I shared a plate of the eponymous churros with dark chocolate dipping sauce. They've really perfected that cocoa-rich semi-sweet flavour.

________

Then came Sunday, the Day of Chocolate. With six shops on the itinerary, some focus and restraint was going to be needed. How would I successfully differentiate between each shop's offerings without succumbing to either chocolate fatigue or gluttony-induced illness? I decided that at each stop I would sample one item that combined chocolate with orange.
________

Haigh's in the grand Block Arcade offered a Mandarin Cream for about $1.50. I liked the dark chocolate here and though I wasn't overly impressed with the filling at the time, this proved to be one of the better bites of the day.

________

The Chocolate Box goes more for bright novelty and gift chocolates. Beyond the toys and hampers there is a display of individual truffles and other chocolates though they too are dominated by novelty shapes rather than flavours (marzipan pig, anyone?).

Still, I did manage to locate a Jaffe ($2.25). It was frosted by pretty but harshly sweet sugar crystals and the interior wasn't any better - too sugary with cheap orange flavouring and not enough cocoa.
________


I only recently discovered the Chokolait. Hub (in the Hub arcade) by accident. These folks were delightfully friendly and we decided to stay on for tea. Shame about the website. They had some tasty but messy-looking glazed orange slices on offer for $2.80 apiece, but instead I chose a little dark orange chocolate for $1.50. It had the right dark flavour but I couldn't taste the orange at all. The only evidence that they hadn't forgotten it completely was the texture of orange peel as I chewed.

________

Though it's one of my favourites, we didn't spend long at Koko Black. I just ordered my orange segment ($1.25) and savoured it while we walked. The orange has great texture and flavour and I'm definitely a fan of their dark chocolate - I just wish there was more of it on this treat. Then I suppose it wouldn't be as pretty, would it?

________

Two thirds of the way through and we needed a palate cleanser. Steamed dumplings at Camy's hit the spot.
________

Patchi is a swanky shop in Melbourne Central with lots of expensive glass ornaments on display, as well as their chocolates. Just about everything is praline based, and the most choc-orange item I could find was the Casablanca ($1.20) - "milk chocolate with giandula [apparently this is chocolate with hazelnut and almond paste], hazelnut pieces and bitter orange peel". It was an excellent quality milk chocolate with hazelnuts, but I didn't detect the orange. I think their prevailing nut obsession is a bit beyond my unrefined palate.

________

Last stop, Max Brenner. Katy was indeed looking fatigued but I resolutely shouldered my way through the crowds to the display cabinet. Hmmm, nothing orange. Besides, it's not possible to buy anything less than 4 specialty chocolates for $8.50. Then I found my hint of orange on the shelves...

$18? No sale, Max.
________

What a day! What a fabulous, decadent day. It was interesting to try a few chocolatiers that I hadn't visited before, and I was surprised to see Haigh's (which I've previously been skeptical of) and Koko Black (where I'm almost a regular) come out on top.

If it isn't already obvious, I'm very much a chocolate lover without being a chocolate connoisseur so these reviews reflect little more than my personal taste. What are your favourite Melbourne chocolates? Is there anywhere great that I've still not visited? Disagree with any of my judgements? Lay it on me and spread it thick.

(Of course this isn't my first hit of Melbourne chocolate. You can also review our previous brushes with Cacao, San Churro, Koko Black and Max Brenner.)

9 comments:

  1. If you're ever in Balaclava, stop by the Alpha chocolate store for some vegan cream filleds...yum..!

    And you can buy the slightly mutated chocolate for really cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your epic efforts!

    I know all about being a chocolate lover but not an expert! I like the Mexican hot chocs at Max Brenner, although I always giggle at their gynaecological-shaped mugs.

    xox Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow all of those chocolates look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lord... this is a chocolate orgy that has forced me to find the last remaining box of the stuff in my kitchen cupboard...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Buttons! I'm actually planning a foodie fest to that part of town in a couple weeks, and I'm putting Alpha on the list. I'm all for cheap mutated chocolate - it's all about the taste. :-)

    Thanks, Sarah! What is with those (gyno-)mugs? They talk up how specially designed and patented they are, but I obviously couldn't hold it right 'cause it just felt weird. :-/

    Thanks, WFD! (And for the link too.)

    Enjoy, Mallika! I am similarly finding that other people's blogs are dictating my food cravings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm chocolate. Well you covered the stores I usually go to. I like some Koko black chocolates but some centres are too sweet and not to my liking.

    I thought the Cacao chocolates looked the best and there are some wonderful ganache flavours, but again, some centres just didn't work.

    But for me, Patchi will forever be king. They are totally nut obssesed but that's the way I like it. I think they do the best pure dark chocolate of all places. Their pralines and gianduja chocolates are to die for. I think I've tried nearly all the Patchi chocolate types and love them all. They are insanely expensive though so I can only eat them sparingly.

    Duncan went to some new chocolate place that just opened I think. Ganache Chocolate it's called. Another place to try I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanh, I forgot about Ganache! (Though I did see it out of a car window a few weeks ago.) Will have to cross the river for it sometime.

    Maybe I should have bought some dark chocolate at Patchi. The milk one was obviously of high quality, but I need that intense cocoa hit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should definitely try the dark chocolates at Patchi. To me, that's real chocolate. Just chocolate, not a thin shell of chocolate with a fancy filling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My cousin's Aussie step mom recently visited our home here in Manila. She was so nice. I gave her native snacks (from the Island of Bohol), specifically the dried mango snack. Anyway, I am quite interested with the Ruby chocolate you posted about here. And, seeing your churros snack, reminds me of my churros phase early this year.

    ReplyDelete