Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April 30, 2008: Rosemary and cheese bites

In this week we had a special guest speaker in my workplace seminar series, so I thought I'd bring along some snacks. I've been trying to think of a few things that aren't just cakes or biscuits - partly for variety, but also in the hope that non-bakers in the group might feel comfortable volunteering their services. So I gathered together some dip and crackers and found time left over to try baking these rosemary and cheese biscuits anyway! The recipe is from Anna at Morsels & Musings.

What I didn't notice on first examination of the recipe is that the only wet ingredient in the list is a mere tablespoon of sour cream! I had enormous trouble pulling this dry powdery mix together and ended up doubling the quantity of sour cream. This meant that my biscuits were less shortbread-y (as Anna's were) and more akin to a chewy cookie, though obviously they had a savoury flavour. I also used only about one and a half teaspoons of dough per biscuit for small bites that could be flexibly shared amongst a small or large crowd. (It can be difficult to predict just how many people will turn up!)

Straight from the oven, these were a troublingly compulsive snack - so soft and warm and cheese-flavoured. It was difficult to stop at one test bite (...OK, one test bite per tray! And then one or two more) and save enough for the group. They are not quite as addictive at room temperature but were still met with a warm reception. One audience member whispered "Pass these along - I can't stop eating them!" at a volume that I wasn't supposed to overhear, and a couple of other people requested the recipe.

So, bake these at your own risk. And make sure you can guiltlessly eat them on the spot if you do.

For the recipe, visit Morsels & Musings.

8 comments:

  1. These sound fantastic. I will have to try them, but maybe I will use chives instead of rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure chives will work well, KJ - I challenge you not to eat them all at once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these out during the week: they're a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya FoodieFi, glad you enjoyed them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cindy - I just made these the other day, and agree that extra sour cream was needed. I just put up a post about them and linked back to you. i've been on the lookout for a cheese biscuit recipe for a little while and this could be it. if only they were a little less decadent! sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frances, it's great to see how well yours turned out! I'd like to try to reduce the sour cream and achieve the more shortbready texture, but not sure how I'll go. With all the butter and cheese in these, it's hardly going to tone down the decadence anyway. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. i’m so pleased you liked them! i agree that the recipe probably needs some more “wetness” to bind the dough so adding more sour cream is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna, I almost liked them too much. :-) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete