Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March 20, 2007: Jumbo samosas

Remember that pie event I took part in last month? The product is an epic post of 65 pie recipes from all over the globe - I spent a highly enjoyable lunch break discovering new blogs and bookmarking the most appealing of the pastry-based recipes. As SBS's Hooray for Bollywood series of movies came around again this week, Michael set the VCR and I retrieved a bookmarked recipe for spicy potato and pea pasties, the pie contribution from Mitchenall of iCookFood.com . But rather than making my own dough and deep-frying, I just re-created the filling and used it to make larger, baked pastry triangles of frozen puff pastry. They were great! The filling is slightly sweet with cinnamon and currants, tangy with lemon juice and mildly spiced. Mango chutney was a perfect moist condiment, and Michael chopped up a refreshing bean and radish salad on the side.

Jumbo samosas

1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 cup peas
2 tablespoons currants
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, roughly 30cm x 30cm each
a little milk

Boil the potato until tender and drain. Combine the potato in a bowl with the peas, currants, coriander, cumin, chilli powder and cinnamon until the spices are evenly distributed. Gently stir in the lemon juice and soy sauce.

Thaw the puff pastry and cut into square quarters. Spoon the filling onto a triangle-half of pastry, leaving a centimetre border around the edge. (It's tempting, but try not to over-fill!) Brush the border with milk and fold the pastries into triangles. Press the border together with a fork, make two or three slits on the top side and brush the top with a bit more milk. Bake the samosas on a lightly greased tray at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown.

5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous recipe! I feel like something vegetarian for dinner tonight and I think I have all these ingredients on hand. Can't wait to try it! The bean and radish salad looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do try them, Melinda, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased you liked the recipe. I made them again this weekend for a surprise party we threw for my mum's birthday, only this time I made more like 70 or so of them along with some of the other stuff on my blog. Everyone seemed to like them, and although there were leftovers from the night, they were all eaten up by various family members who stayed over.

    A lot of the more finger-food recipes on my blog were done as a practice run before I had to make them for 35 odd people, but couldn't mention that in case my mum read the blog and worked it out.

    I wonder which is the least healthy... deep-fried or made with puff pastry? ;-)

    Glad you liked them, and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Mitchenall. That recipe will definitely be repeated in this house, maybe in the smaller size for an entree.

    I love finger food, and have been scrolling through your other recipes too. :-) You must have been cooking for days to prepare so much food for your mum's party!

    ReplyDelete