Sunday, July 31, 2022

Good Measure

July 28, 2022

   

I did a leisurely circuit on foot through Carlton on Thursday to tick off some errands, and I timed my tasks to include lunch. Good Measure turned up in my online browsing the night before and when I approached at 1pm, I counted myself lucky to get a table. I assumed they'd be experiencing a lunch rush, but instead there seemed to be a post-lunch coffee peak around 20 minutes later.

Lunch options at Good Measure are limited but very good, just a couple of sandwich types in a glass cabinet. I was content with the salad and miso mayo one that the staff initially outlined, but I'm sure my eyes lit up when they switched to describing their ramen egg salad special (~$13). There are no noodles here; rather, their thick, hearty bread slices are stuffed with soft-boiled soy sauce-marinated eggs, celery, spring onion, radishes and mayonnaise. It's deeply savoury, it's possible to get it toasted, and it's compact and satisfying.

   

Good Measure also trades as a bar on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. I hear their cheesecake is excellent too. That's three good reasons for me to tuck away Good Measure in my mind for whenever I'm in Carlton. 
____________

Good Measure has already received high praise from Passport Please.
____________

Good Measure
193 Lygon St, Carlton
veg sandwiches ~$13

Accessibility: There is a small lip on the door and a wide passage through to the counter. Furniture is quite densely arranged around the edges; wiry standard-height and stool height chairs, both with small backs (see photos above). I ordered and paid at a high counter, then received food at my table. I didn't visit the toilets.

1 comment: