Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cutler & Co III

November 4, 2011
After a disappointing dinner, we were after something to lift our mood; Cutler & Co did just that. At 9pm on a Friday their front bar had plenty of space and they were happy to have us visit for coffee and dessert. Jo recommended we share two icecream sandwiches between the four of us and I was happy to comply. I'd never tried it before, though I read of many other bloggers swooning over it.

The Cutler & Co icecream sandwich ($18) is a generous vanilla parfait brick between thin chocolate biscuits, a pool of salted caramel underneath and a rich quenelle of chocolate icecream on top. It's very nice indeed, though I don't think it has the complexity of some of their other desserts. We were also generously supplied with petits fours following the theme: chocolate-coated caramel fudge sprinkled lightly with salt. Haute fantails!

Eighteen dollars is no small sum for dessert but to have this dessert in these surroundings, with no hurry to leave, felt worth it. I can see myself stopping by again with this purpose on an idle evening.


____________


We've eaten more extensively at Cutler & Co before; you can read about those meals here and here.
____________

Cutler & Co
55-57 Gertrude St, Fitzroy
9419 4888
desserts $18

Accessibility: Cutler & Co has a flat entry and generous space between tables. The front bar largely contains high benches and chairs, but there are some standard-height booth seats to the side. There's full table service.

7 comments:

  1. I love Marsha's desserts. I met her at a party once, dropped in for a drink and she sent every single dessert to the table. I don't have a sweet tooth, but I ate every single one and had a sugar hang-over the next day.
    Bam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made a booking to try this place out for their degustation! unfortunately, it will be a month away from now ;(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will there ever be a fancy restaurant that does incredible vegan desserts like this? Wishing for some right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the deserts at Cutler and Co are vegan, and they are very helpful for dietary intolerances too. Amazeable.

      Delete
    2. Indeed - we returned five times last summer to work our way through their dessert menu, and they offered excellent vegan and gluten-free options to our companions.

      Delete
  4. I've also written about the ice cream sandwich - TWICE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess - that is awesome. I love these desserts even more, now I know they're created by such a generous soul.

    Miss Adriennely - have fun! I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

    em - too many fancy restaurants seem to fall back on fruit sorbet for vegans... do they not know that good quality chocolate is vegan?! Have you heard about the eggless dessert cafe in Adelaide? I really want to go there.

    claire - gah, neither Google blog search nor my Google Reader account pointed me to your posts. They're added now. :-)

    ReplyDelete