Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Kentucky fried tofu goes gleegan

April 24-25, 2012
While Michael was galavanting around Toronto, I returned from the quincefest and mostly just hung out with the cat and a crisper full of cabbage. I did manage to break up the week and the cabbage by inviting Lisa, K & Toby over for dinner on Wednesday night. I prepped my KFC spice mix the night before then divided Wednesday between my computer and the kitchen - running simulations and ruining vegan meringues, cutting up cabbage and pasting summary stats into spreadsheets, parsing graphs and par-boiling potatoes.

The important bits worked - my code converged and dinner was pretty great. My successful sides were a Veganomicon coleslaw and purple-and-plain potato salad dressed with lemon juice and parsley. Then I deglutenised my recent Kentucky fried crumbing by replacing the wheat flour with equal parts Orgran mix and chickpea flour. Chickpea flour really has a way with frying - something special happens to the crust of vegan omelettes, vegan French toast, pakoras and now this here crumbing when it's involved. I'm going to continue supplementing my plain flour with some besan even when I'm not serving a coeliac.

The secondary tasks were better left to experts - K saved dessert by bringing PB&J chocolates, and I'm calling on a colleague to straighten out my curlier covariates.

4 comments:

  1. and here I was thinking the only reason to have chickpea flour was to make pakoras (which I have always been too nervous to try due to the whole deep frying aspect). Crumbing with it though, now that opens up a whole new world of possibilities ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CheezyK! Yep, there are definitely a lot more uses for chickpea flour. You could try substituting a portion of plain flour for chickpea in many savoury dishes. :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a yummy dinner. They were amazing. I tried to recreate them a few days later but mine weren't as fantastic. Not sure where I went wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were yours like, K? It'd be good to work out what the difference was!

      Delete