Our 1100th post has quietly come and gone, and that means it's time to update our where's the best? list of favourites:
- We've developed a new habit of making weekend brunches at home so we're breaking out a new category, Home Fried Brunch, featuring baked beans, OMG omelettes, hash browns, home fries, tofu pesto scramble, pancakes and rum-banana waffles. (The subtext here is: go forth and purchase Vegan Brunch!)
- Spring rolls have converted us to cabbage, and we've added cheesy tofu fritters and seitan ribz to our potluck repertoire.
- There's also been quite some sweet success - chocolate berry custard, vanilla slice, peanut butter chocolate squares and salted caramel icecream have proved irresistible to all who encounter them.
- The Bell Jar is upholding the inner north's fine breakfast tradition.
- We've eaten cheaply but spectacularly at the Half Moon Cafe, Mankoushe, Nasi Lemak House, Sonido, Thanh Nga Nine, Tiba's and Yong Green Food.
- The Fox Hotel and the Gasometer are setting a new standard for vegetarian pub food.
- Andrew McConnell knows how to make veges fancy at Cutler & Co.
There's been one sad loss too - Juanita's is no longer in business. Nevertheless, we're discovering great eating spots at a far greater rate than the good 'uns are disappearing; I don't think vegetarian dining in Melbourne has ever been better!