Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 12, 2010: Plush Pizza II

Though we like to whinge about anything that drags us out of the inner north, Miss T's birthday bash out east provided us with a welcome excuse to stop by Plush Pizza for dinner with Toby. Toby's something of a PP veteran and he advised us by text message to order two medium pizzas to share between the three of us, one of them Chunky ($18.50). Though this topping combo wasn't high on my to-try list, it was terrific - jammed with mushrooms, capsicum, onion, tomato, sausage, tofu, olives, pineapple, gherkin and topped with fresh parsley, it had the heartiness of a supreme pizza with none of the stodginess.

In the comments on our previous Plush pizza post, I got a clear message that I needed to try the Ben Special ($17) - "pesto, button mushrooms, red onion, sliced roma tomato and a light sprinkle of our hot spice blend. Garnished with slices of fresh avocado, cracked pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar". While I didn't pick up on the pesto, spices or balsamic vinegar as I ate, this really worked! The thinly-sliced avocado was a wonderful creamy alternative to melted cheese, and I always think it's the perfect partner for mushrooms.

I really dig what Plush Pizza puts out - bucketloads of veges, flavour and satisfaction without the oily, doughy ball of regret that takeaway pizza can leave in your stomach for hours afterwards.

You can read about our previous visit to Plush Pizza here.

Edit 10/07/11: Sadly, Plush Pizza has closed - Melbourne veg community will miss it terribly.


  1. the Ben Special is covered in balsamic vinegar! It's all I can ever taste!

  2. love love this place! slowly working my way through the menu, tough when i love sticking to my faves though :)

  3. My fav is a toss up between the ben special and the satay, or the satay with pesto. All I could think about last weekend was plush pizza, I'm keen to go back and try their g/f bases again.