Monday, February 15, 2010

February 9, 2010: Raspberry-banana sorbet

Time for another hack at my frozen banana collection - I baked a dozen peanut butter crumble muffins (using wholemeal flour and double the 'nanas) and returned to this banana icecream business. For this round I took a tip from Barbara and tried raspberry-banana icecream.

It's another maddeningly simple recipe: freeze two bananas and a punnet of raspberries, then blend them until creamy. This took a little longer than the malted version but the results were no less impressive - out came a frothy and vibrantly-hued sorbet, tingly with that sherbet-y edge of raspberries. The banana flavour and colour are somewhat concealed but still detectable - I don't think Michael would go for it. But plenty of others will! Eating fruit doesn't get much more fun or refreshing than this.

(Your homework - find a way of eating fruit that is indeed more fun and/or refreshing than this, and post it in the comments! Bonus points if it's no more labour-intensive than this stuff.)

8 comments:

  1. I can't resist mentioning these Fruit kebabs - how can you go past fruit on a stick and you can even put it in the freezer - I want to try this sorbet but am afraid of how my blender will go with the frozen fruit - I have a particular weakness for combining rasbperry sorbet and baci icecream

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen banana slices used to scoop up peanut butter/nutella/other nut butter concoction :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frozen red grapes in sparkling (or just white) wine... yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Righto... it seems to be a sign. I need to make this sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johanna, Hannah, Lizzie - thanks for the neat ideas. :-)

    I'm not sure how your blender would perform, Johanna - we have a food processor, so the blade's a bit bigger and sturdier.

    Penny - I'll keep an eye out for it on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say frozen grapes too. They taste so nice. Sprinkling salt and chilli on pineapple is sensational too. But my all time favourite is to slice up peaches and cut grapes in half and mix them in a fruit salad and leave for a day. The flavours combine and gives both fruits an amazing flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanh, I have LOVED chilli and pineapple together on the couple of occasions I've tried it. I like peaches and grapes, too - I'll have to make sure I let them sit together next time I buy them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum yum yummm they all sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete