Monday, March 09, 2009

March 2, 2009: The serious summer salad

When Frances created this salad, she gave it the more explanatory title 'Spiced eggplant and lentil salad with feta'. But the lentils and eggplant give this salad a substance and sombre colouring, so I thought I'd try christening it the serious summer salad. Michael and I tried it when we were in serious need of some salad and it made for a fine and filling meal. I'm not sure that I've used canned lentils before, and I've certainly never cracked over a can just to pour it over a salad, but now that I've tried it I'd do it again. I'd even consider upping the lentil quantity in this recipe if it was this salad I was making. That said, the feta was my favourite element; I succumbed to the advertising and tried the Dodoni feta that George Calombaris has been spruiking. A modest sprinkle of it enriched the entire dish with a creamy saltiness.

If you'd like to make this salad, you can get the recipe from Crunchy Green Things.

2 comments:

  1. you're totally right: eggplant-and-lentil brown are pretty serious hues for a salad. your name at least provides appropriate warning! I'll also be keeping an eye out for the feta you used, as I do love a good cheese tip, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Frances! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete