Friday, March 06, 2009

February 27-28, 2009: Raw lime pie

While I have my reservations about raw foodism as a lifestyle, I love a theme and I was as eager as anyone to experiment and contribute a dish to Bec and Jo's raw-themed vegan potluck. The internet is flooded with recipes and ideas, and I had a couple of constraints up my sleeve to narrow down the options. Like many people, I don't own the most popular appliances amongst raw foodies - a juicer, a dehydrator and a mandoline. However I do own a much-loved and much-used food processor and it was the perfect ally in making this raw lime pie - all you've gotta do is pulse and pour, three times.

What this recipe lacks in processed sugar and carbs, it makes up for in sweet fruit and rich nuts. The base layer consists mostly of dates and walnuts and has a deep, caramel flavour. In the middle is a super-tangy lime strip, filled out with creamy avocado and cashews. On top is a macadamia cream, sweetened with agave nectar, that tastes remarkably like coconut. Freezing the pie proved to be an excellent strategy - it was easy to transport and after 20 minutes or so on the bench, it held together in nice firm slices. Served semi-frozen, it makes a serious rival to most of the cheesecakes and icecream cakes parading the planet. For a summertime dessert, I'd make it again in preference to either of these. It's not just a great raw dessert, it's a great dessert.

Unfortunately, raw lime pie doesn't come cheap - a basket full of dates, limes, avocados, cashews, macadamias and agave nectar is more likely to have you reaching for the a credit card rather than the change purse. Thankfully a small wedge goes a long way, and this quantity will easily feed a dozen people.

It turns out that there are plenty of raw dishes that match this terrific pie bite for bite! The potluck was kitted out with a juice and smoothie bar, zucchini pasta, a fantastic satay sauce without peanuts poured over lettuce salad boats, mock tuna parcels, smoky Middle Eastern nut cheese, gado gado, toffee and trail mix slices and Ferrero Rawchers (Kristy and Pip have dutifully recorded them all). It was food that left me sated and definitely not bloated. I've no reservations about going raw a little more often if it means I have this much room for dessert!


Raw lime pie
(based on the key lime pie at From SAD To Raw)

For the base: In a food processor, combine 1 cup almonds, 2 cups walnuts, 1 cup dates, 1/3 cup sultanas and 2 tablespoons fruit juice. Blend them until soft and crumbly and press them into the base of a springform tin or pie dish. Store it in the refrigerator or freezer.

For the lime filling: In a food processor, blend together 1 large or two small avocados, the juice and zest of four limes and 1/2 cup of raw cashews. When the mixture is smooth and creamy, pour it over the base and smooth the top with a spoon. Return the pie to the refrigerator/freezer.

For the top layer: In a food processor, blend together 1/2 cup water, 1 cup macadamia nuts, 1/4 cup cashews and 3 tablespoons agave nectar. When it's as smooth as possible, pour the macadamia cream over the pie and smooth over the top with a spoon. Return the pie to the refrigerator or freezer until firm.

7 comments:

  1. This. Looks. So. Good! I agree about raw foodism - some stuff I'd love to try, but I'm not going to buy a dehydrator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i spent a small fortune on my dish too! it was worth it for a treat, but man! it's definitely not a lifestyle for the unemployed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one expensive pie!

    Not that I would say no to eating it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might not be cheap, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend once who only ate raw food. I don't know how she did it. I could maybe manage for a day, but that would be about all. But this pie does look interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo! Looks like something I will be trying shortly :) Raw Food like fruit and veg aren't too expensive, compared to packaged foods but when you start talking Raw Gourmet the prices increase, a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss T - if you're going to give raw a try, even just for a meal, it's worth including this pie!

    Yeah, Pip - I'll be reserving this recipe for special meals with friends, I think.

    I'm sure you wouldn't, Bunches... even if it's lacking in salted caramel and/or bittersweet chocolate. ;-)

    Tastes great too, Anna!

    KJ, I don't think I could maintain a long-term interest in raw food either! But I think I'd enjoy working some more raw dishes into my height-of-summer diet.

    Mandee, I'm sure you're right - it's really just that this recipe is packed with the most indulgent of raw ingredients. :-)

    ReplyDelete