Tuesday, March 03, 2009

February 25, 2009: Breakfast quinoa

While eating the eat-anywhere quinoa salad, I couldn't help thinking how much I'd enjoy it with a few chopped dried apricots stirred through. Then that got me thinking about a sweeter, fruit and nut based version of the salad... and eating it for breakfast. This recipe is what I came up with. Rather than buying dried apricots, I made use of the dried dates and walnuts I already had at home. Then I replaced the lemon-herb-tahini dressing with apple-cranberry juice, agave nectar, a dash of Chinese five-spice and the inimitable tahini.

It's a fine breakfast food - it's easy to make up a week's worth at once and store it in the fridge, just slicing some fresh fruit over the top each morning. (It'd pack nicely as breakfast on the bus/at the desk as well.) I went a little too crazy on the tahini and found that I enjoyed this with a little milk to dilute it but I'll aim for a drier version in future, I think. With boundless potential variations on the fruit, nuts and even the grain, I shouldn't tire of this any time soon.


Breakfast quinoa

1 cup quinoa
1 cup fruit juice, plus 2 tablespoons extra for the dressing
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons tahini (I'll reduce this next time)
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
1/2 cup dates, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Stir together the quinoa, first measure of fruit juice, and the water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring them to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining juice, the tahini, agave nectar and Chinese five spice.

When the quinoa's ready, transfer it to a large bowl. Stir through the tahini dressing, then add the dates and walnuts.

Serve the quinoa with fresh fruit.

1 comment: