Thursday, July 26, 2007

July 21, 2007: Walnuts

On Saturday morning, Michael and I made our first visit to the Preston markets and I noticed walnuts at many of the fruit and veg stalls. I've repeatedly read that walnuts go rancid quite quickly and that fresh ones from the shell taste different to everything I've encountered in the supermarket, so naturally I was keen to buy half a kilo and taste for myself.

I definitely noticed a paler skin on my shelled walnuts. They have a strong woody taste with only a hint of bitterness - I've always picked up these flavours before but in different proportions. I've also discovered that walnuts make a sweet couple with my Daim bars! For the remaining handful, I will have to resist the toffee and try toasting them to see how that affects their flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment