Friday, July 06, 2007

July 2, 2007: Cheesy cauliflower soup


My usual Monday night netball is on mid-year hiatus, meaning my usual approach of just letting Cindy look after me is no long tenable. Still, she dug up this recipe and we had most of the ingredients on hand, so all I had to do was throw it all together. I've never eaten as much soup as I have since winter arrived in Melbourne - I'm buying it for lunch whenever we're short of leftovers and we're making it about once a week. It truly is ideal food for a drizzly Melbourne July. And, as a bonus, it tends to be pretty straightforward. This was no exception: once the cauliflower and onion are chopped it's as easy as pie. Soup pie.

The end result is rich and creamy - thanks in no small part to the cup of cheese that's stirred through. The cauliflower provides most of the flavour, but the mustard seeds were a nice touch - making up for the pepper that I forgot to sprinkle through. It's probably not the healthiest soup going around, but on a cold rainy night, creamy comfort is far more important than any nutritional concerns.

The recipe is from Food Lover's Journey, here.

2 comments:

  1. yum - looks fine winter fare - like cauliflower cheese in a soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna, I had noticed baked cauliflower cheese appearing on your blog and am sure you would enjoy the liquid version. :-)

    ReplyDelete