Sunday, June 03, 2007

June 3, 2007: Vegie roast

On Sunday afternoon, I had my heart set on a 4:00 movie followed by a SoBLAT for dinner. On both counts I was forced to compromise, but agreeably so: first, the movie sold out but I got a better seat to a later session. In the meantime I set about my grocery shopping, only realising while in the refrigerated section that my local Safeway doesn't actually sell soy bacon. Damn. On an impulse I grabbed this box of Vegie Roast, another in the extensive range of Sanitarium faux meat products.

My medium-low expectations sank much, much further when I pulled this product out of the box. I had something that looked like a scary sausage and when unwrapped, smelled like a scary sausage (or worse, like pet food). Then there was a sachet of orange powder that looked like the cheese powder on Doritos and smelled like toothpaste. (Guess that's the "mint and rosemary"...)

I persevered with the instructions, lightly spraying the roast with oil and rolling it in the powdered glaze. Then it was into the oven for about 20 minutes.



Out come something that looked a lot more appetising! I cut a few slices and made myself a roast "chicken" sandwich, with baby spinach leaves and super-thick tomato slices. It was pretty convincing. Not in a Jamie-Oliver-roast-chicken-
with-preserved-lemons-and-
rosemary-stuffed-up-its-whatsit way, more like a Red Rooster skinless chicken roll.

The Vegie Roast far exceeded my expectations, but after eating four of these sandwiches throughout the week I doubt I'll be craving this mock meat for a long, long time.

6 comments:

  1. Being a huge fan of sanitarium mock meats (I ate luncheon sandwiches for work lunch nearly every day for the last fortnight) I was really excited when I bought the vegie roast a few weeks ago! And really pleased that it was actually delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite fond of the Sanitarium mock meats but haven't tried this one although I think it's a great idea. I can't believe such a short time in the oven made so much difference. What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their schnitzels are okay. A good lazy meal -- just stick them in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah, all the mock meat fans are coming out. :-) I shall probably gradually work my way through the Sanitarium products...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a very big fan of this vegie roast however I usually put it in the oven for around 40-45 minutes, the outside goes deliciously crisp and the inside beautifully tender, I also serve it with traditional sides such as roasted pumpkin, potato, onion and some steamed peas, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone has great praise for Roast. Last I tried didn't come with a topping. Wasn't impressed like their other products are great. Must try again then, might be improved.

    ReplyDelete