Sunday, June 03, 2007

June 3, 2007: Coconut chai breakfast cake

For weekday breakfasts, I mindlessly alternate between boxes of Sustain and Just Right. It doesn't take me too long to eat before work (comparatively - everything takes me a long time to eat), and neither are as irksomely sweet as most fruity cereals. On the weekends I'm usually on the lookout for something a bit different but I rarely have the imagination or the energy to stretch beyond toast. Then I saw this recipe for coconut chai breakfast cake - not only did it sound tasty but it appeared to be relatively healthy, as cakes go, and I was curious to see how breakfasty a cake could get. (Hopefully more than my previous experience of post-party late-next-morning breakfast cake.)

I wish I had read the recipe the night before - I might have made my cup of chai then and sped up the whole process. This step excepted, it's a pretty quick and straightforward cake batter to prepare - and best of all, it's vegan! The result is very moist, with a thick, chewy crust. It's sweet, sure, but it does have a wholesome taste with all those wholegrains and fruit. Rather than repeating it for breakfast I'm gradually getting through this cake as a low-guilt afternoon snack, just the thing to enjoy with a cup of tea and then power on through to dinner. Unfortunately I used too much almond essence and it reeks of amaretto, so the spices and chai are completely lost. But I have enjoyed this cake enough that I'll try it again (without the almond essence).


Coconut chai breakfast cake
(I got the recipe from Tales from the Veggie Kitchen, and there it is credited to Fat Free Vegan)

2 chai tea bags
1/3 cup rolled oats, blended lightly in a food processor
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple puree
1 tablespoon vinegar
almond essence (SKIP IT!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dessicated coconut, with 2 tablespoons reserved

Brew the chai teabags in 1 cup of hot water, and let the water cool.

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C. Grease a small to medium cake tin.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the blended oats, flours, carb soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and sugar. Add the remaining ingredients except for the reserved coconut. Mix well and then pour into the cake tin. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut and bake until a skewer comes out clean. The original recipe specifies 25 minutes but I think mine took a bit longer, more like 30-35 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like perfect guilt-free baking and what gorgeous flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Truffle. :-) Now I've just got to get the balance of those chai spices right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, you read my mind. I have been planning to 'create' a Chai cake or dessert. Yours is a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anh! Tea-infused liquid might work for a delicate dessert like a custard, but I'd suggest also using some powdered spices to flavour a cake well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reckon it must make a rather nice breakfast! One of the things that I hate about vegan baking is the use of tofu as an egg substitute (such heavy cakes), but this looks fragrant, crumbly and very good. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, this is the kind of cake that calls out for a good cup of tea! It's actually quite filling, but I think that is more about the oats and wholemeal flour than the egg sub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this looks stress free and guilt free - would be great warm for breakfast with some fresh fruit or poached fruit - and sounds like a good snack for work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johanna, you're right - poached fruit would make an excellent accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cindy - This breakfast cake looks delicious! I think I'll try it this weekend. We must be on the same wavelength - I wrote about an energising breakfast loaf last weekend that features craisins and dried apricots. Like your chai cake, it's good for breakfast or a mid-morning or afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melinda, I hope we'll get a post from you about this recipe if you do get around to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cindy - made it, loved it, blogged it! Was a bit too sweet for my taste for breakfast but made a great mid-morning snack. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're very welcome, Melinda. :-)

    ReplyDelete