Friday, February 16, 2007

Cinnamon vanilla ice-cream


Here's a recipe for cinnamon vanilla ice-cream, which I whipped up a couple days in advance of our Valentine's Day apple pie. It was soft and airy, with a distinct spice and understated sweetness. Even though I love their flavour, I find that the use of ground spices like cinnamon and cloves give food a slightly dusty flavour and texture. (Infusing the milk and cream with whole cinnamon sticks and cloves might prevent this, but I suspect I'd find the flavour too weak.) If you're not eating the ice-cream with apple pie, I reckon some fruit on the side would freshen things right up.

Cinnamon vanilla ice-cream

In a small bowl, whisk together a cup of milk, a cup of cream, a teaspoon of vanilla paste, a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a generous pinch of ground cloves. In a slightly larger bowl whisk 2 egg yolks, then incorporate half a cup of castor sugar. Gradually add the spiced cream, still whisking as you go. Pour the lot into an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment