Thursday, October 21, 2021

Ginger caramel slice

October 16, 2021

   

I bought a back-up jar of coconut condensed milk when I was shopping for the lime pie, and it only took a week before I decided to work it into some caramel slice. I always use a decade-long favourite recipe from Steph and Johanna, and this time around I made three adjustments to the caramel layer:
  1. I used a can of coconut condensed milk instead of soy condensed milk,
  2. I used treacle instead of golden syrup, and
  3. I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of ground ginger to the mixture.
There were a few flecks of ground ginger that I couldn't stir smooth in the caramel, and I wondered if I should have strained the mixture before pouring it onto the base. 

Everything seemed to sort itself out during the bake... this slice was magnificent. The caramel was a bit runnier than usual - due either to the coconut/soy switch or to undercooking - but it had the consistency and colour of the caramel you'd find in a Mars bar or Twix. The flavour was much stronger, like gingerbread! For some (including me as a kid), this is probably sullying a classic, but Michael and I are instant fans of this easy-to-make spin-off flavour. 

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, ginger added to caramel sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! I can definitely recommend it. :)

      Delete
  2. As a lover of both gingerbread and chocolate caramel slice, I love that you combined the best of both worlds. I have used coconut condensed milk and I don't remember it being less set than regular dairy condensed milk. But I want to try this version now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna! I think there's a very good change you'll enjoy this version. :)

      Delete