Sunday, October 17, 2021

Frozen lime pie

October 10, 2021

   

This is my second vegan pie mishap of our current lockdown. The first one didn't make it to the blog - it was a lemon tart with a lovely shortcrust and a cornflour-thickened curd that absolutely would not set. 

This time I was in the mood for something involving limes and condensed milk, and key lime pie popped up during my recipe browsing. I flicked between a taste recipe that used condensed milk and an Isa recipe that didn't use eggs, picking out the ingredients and techniques that most appealed to me. I wasn't all that keen on using agar, and hoped that a larger quantity of arrowroot might do the job instead. That didn't work out, and I was stuck with my second un-set tart of the season.

I decided to fall back on a trick that worked once last year: I froze my pie. It was set within a couple of hours, and a bit strange to cut, but an excellent texture to eat. The filling remained soft and creamy, not at all icy, and with a sweet-sour balance that suited me. I've been sprinkling toasted coconut on it and considering it close enough to a success. I might even like this frozen version better than I would a room temperature lime pie. Still: I really would like to figure out a nicely set citrussy vegan tart.


Frozen lime pie
(a recipe inspired by taste's key lime pie

pie crust
150g plain sweet biscuits (I used digestives)
75g margarine

filling
1/3 cup soy milk
3 tablespoons arrowroot (would increase this to 4-5 if attempting an unfrozen pie)
320g can sweet condensed coconut milk
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest

garnish
toasted shredded coconut


Crush the biscuits between baking paper sheets, using a rolling pin, and pour the crumbs into a bowl. Melt the margarine in a saucepan, and stir it through the biscuit crumbs. Press the mixture into a pie dish and refrigerate.

Whisk the arrowroot into the soy milk, in a small-medium saucepan. Stir in the condensed milk and set the mixture over medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly, until thickened. The condensed milk probably already feels thick, but you'll eventually notice your spoon dragging through arrowroot thickness on the bottom of the saucepan, and then notice a similar thickness permeating through the whole mixture. Turn off the heat and stir in the lime juice and zest. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and freeze or refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.

Serve slices with a sprinkle of toasted shredded coconut.

5 comments:

  1. Frozen pie sounds like a pretty good thing for summer at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! It has a nice icecream cake vibe. :)

      Delete
  2. Great save! Sounds like a challenge to get your vegan citrus pie to set. I have been watching Baking Impossible (a cross between baking and engineers) on Netflix which makes me think you need some time with the science of the filling and what makes it set. Anyway, hopefully each of these pies is a good learning exercise even if not perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, I have never heard of this show but it sounds like fun! I'll look it up. I've received some good advice about setting agents when I posted this on twitter - I might try extra arrowroot next time, then resort to adding agar agar if that doesn't work out.

      Delete
  3. Notes to self: I tried making this pie again a week ago.

    I used gingernuts in the crust. I tried using a ziploc bag for the smashing, but it developed punctures and so was still a bit messy. The biscuits were still a bit to coarse for full coverage of the pie dish. Try using more biscuits and perhaps a food processor.

    I used Nestle plant-based condensed milk in the filling, having bought two discounted cans from Cheaper Buy Miles. It tasted floury and I wouldn't buy it again.

    I used 5 tablespoons arrowroot in the filling. It set up a bit better, but not entirely. Again I served the pie frozen.

    ReplyDelete