Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mister Nice Guy's Bakeshop II

June 9, 2013


Sunday sent me to Moonee Ponds in the morning, so I strolled south to Mister Nice Guy's Bakeshop for lunch. While their modus operandi is sweet-sweet-sweet, they now also offer a range of bagel sandwiches (including a gluten-free option!) and a couple other savoury selections...


... like a dawg in a blanket ($6.50). Chomping down on sweet bread dough baked around a mock sausage, all at room temperature, I felt like a kid at a carnival.


I followed up with a clownishly large and lairy slice of peanut butter chocolate cake ($5). While there was chocolate and peanut butter (and some lovely crushed macadamias) to be found, they were outperformed by sugar, sugar, sugar. Next time I'll grow up and stick to a, ahem, cupcake.

Mister Nice Guy's Bakeshop nourished my inner child more than my adult body. It's lovely that they extend this indulgence to Melbourne's vegans and coeliacs - every staff member and customer in the shop was grinning from ear to ear.

____________

You can read about our previous visit to the Bakeshop here. Since then it's received much vegan love on melbourne with the rocket, Appetite Affliction, In The Mood For Noodles and veganopoulous, plus some omni interest on Consider the Sauce.
____________

Mister Nice Guy's Bakeshop
151 Union Road, Ascot Vale
0424 422 878
desserts $2-9
http://www.misterniceguy.com.au/


Accessibility: From memory, Mr Nice Guy has a flat entry. There's a wide corridor inside and the display cases are clearly visible and well labelled. Ordering and payment happens at the counter. The toilets are down a slightly narrow and uneven corridor, are gendered, and pretty narrow themselves.

10 comments:

  1. Shame about the peanut butter chocolate cake. It seemed so promising! =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misschievously! It's more to my taste in cupcake size. :-)

      Delete
  2. sweet bread dough around a sausage - that sounds sort of weird - I love veg sausages but not sure of this - is it like a brioche dough or just out and out sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, it's just fairly standard bread dough and about as sweet as a typical white hot dog or burger bun.

      Delete
  3. Is there anything sadder than a poorly done peanut butter chocolate dessert? I think not. (Hyperbole ahoy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah - even if there is, I don't care to know about it. ;-)

      I think these guys' buttercream is pretty good in cupcake-sized doses.

      Delete
  4. Hi there,
    I love your blog thank you for writing such nice things about us! I must say that it looks to me as though my frosting girl might have gone a tad to much with the frosting on that cake. Its not supposed to have that much frosting sorry about that. I love the taste of the sweetish dough around the dogs. Its kind of like a brunch thing to have at a shop that bakes mostly sweet things. Thanks again for the awesome reviews and I love the part about our staff always smiling, we are all family here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucas! It's lovely to have you visit. No need to apologise about the cake, it looked spectacular - I think I was just too greedy and should stick to the smaller-served desserts, especially when I've already managed to devour a dough-wrapped dog. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Great to hear that the range has been expanded to include savoury items! I'll have to make a trip and try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! I'm sure you won't leave disappointed. :-)

      Delete