Monday, May 13, 2013

Creamy spinach & soy bacon fettuccine

May 10, 2013


This Friday night pasta dish is a rearrangement of some other favourite recipes on this blog. I guess it's a little like carbonara, except that I ignored the eggs in our fridge and made a cashew-based vegan sauce, and smuggled in a bunch of spinach.


Creamy spinach & soy bacon fettuccine

Several hours (up to a day) before you want to eat this meal, marinate a generous handful of dried beancurd pieces in a bacon marinade.

When you're 20 minutes away from wanting to eat, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add 500g fettuccine, cook until tender and drain.

While the water is boiling and the pasta is cooking, wash a large bunch of spinach and remove the leaves from the stems, discarding the stems. 

Blend up a batch of Hurry Up Alfredo sauce, replacing the 3 tablespoons tamari with 1 teaspoon 'chicken' stock powder. Saute the marinated beancurd in a frypan over medium heat, adding a little extra marinade and being careful not to burn anything.

Once the pasta is drained, return it to the pot with the spinach leaves, tossing to combine, so that the heat of the pasta wilts the spinach. Pour over the alfredo sauce and stir to combine. Sprinkle in the beancurd 'bacon', tossing it through lightly so that it doesn't discolour the sauce too much.

Scoop into pasta bowls and eat, eat, eat.

6 comments:

  1. looks delish - I have thought of using tofu bacon for a veg alfredo and I love the hurry up alfredo sauce - never tried beancurd bacon - I bought some dried beancurd once and it was disgusting - probably because I didn't know what to do with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna - I'm not a dried beancurd expert yet! I found it to be very effective here on first serving; later the marinade leached into the pasta sauce and the beancurd's flavour stood out a little more.

      Delete
  2. Yum! Soy bacon? I am a lover of mock meat. I don't care how bad anyone thinks it is.. I grew up with having mock meat in Chinese vegetarian cooking. It's amazeballs :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi msihua! That's cool, I don't know many omnivores who enjoy mock meat. :-D

      Delete
  3. Hurry Up Alfredo Sauce - love that name! I've yet to try making a cashew sauce but soon must get onto that band wagon! Sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I can definitely recommend cashews, they are my favourite way to make a creamy vegan sauce.

      Delete