Tuesday, May 03, 2011

April 20, 2011: Vege 'quiche'

After making that cheese and tomato quiche last week, I was compelled to attempt a vegan alternative.  Meveg blogged an interesting  recipe for such a thing last year and Steph backed it up, promising something amazing.

The egg-free secret here is a batter made of chickpea flour and water - it sets up like you wouldn't believe!  I also added some nooch to the batter and sprinkled ground almonds over the top; my previous quiche was super-cheesy and I wanted a little something savoury here to make up for that.

These aren't the only ways that this 'quiche' differs from my previous quiche - I cut corners using frozen puff pastry, and used up a range of leftover veges rather than focusing on tomato.  It was a reasonably unfussy and pleasingly pretty dinner to serve when my aunt stopped by for dinner.  I teamed it with roast potatoes and rocket, lightly dressing in champagne vinegar then followed up with nutella icecream for dessert.


Vege 'quiche'
(inspired by this recipe and this one)

1 sheet puff pastry
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1 zucchini, sliced
1 large tomato, sliced
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I used tarrgon and parsley)
1 cup chickpea flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
salt and pepper
1/3 cup almonds, coarsely ground

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a pie dish with pastry and spread mustard over the base.

Layer up zucchini, tomato and capsicum in the quiche crust, sprinkling chopped herbs in between layers.

Whisk together the chickpea flour, water, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and pour it over the pie. Sprinkle over the ground almonds.

Bake the 'quiche' for 35 minutes, until set and golden brown on top.

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Sadly, quiche has never been a popular food around here, maybe I should pitch them as tarts instead... Love the mustard on the base and the almond topping - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, what an interesting quiche alternative. I fully thought the batter was raw but with avocado as the "egg" from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have seen this before but am yet to try it - must have a go - would make an easy gf vegan quiche if you just left off the crust - and if I were to try this I would have to put a bit of smoked paprika because it is one of my fave spices

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting recipe and that photo could've fooled me - the filling looked pretty eggy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks AMAZING! ima make it asap!xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first vegan quiche recipe that i've ever thought looked reasonably tasty! I may just give it a try :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, there's certainly no need to mention the word 'quiche' if it'll put off your fellow eaters - savoury tart is probably a more accurate description anyway. :-)

    Zo - I can see why you might mistake it for avocado in the first pic... it's another great creamy option for vegans.

    Johanna - I was thinking that too, though K recently bought some excellent gf puff pastry that would work well too!

    Leaf - it is a pretty cool trick, huh?

    Nice to see you, Buttons! DO IT. :-)

    Vegiebug - I'd certainly recommend it, it's not too complicated either.

    ReplyDelete