Thursday, January 06, 2011

December 29, 2010: Sesame waffles + kaya


I've had a jar of kaya in the cupboard for a little while now.  I kept putting off opening it until I had a really good idea for how to use it.  Last month I got it into my head that the kaya was meant for waffles and mused for some time over complementary waffle flavours.  Eventually I decided that tahini might make a pleasing and slightly bitter foil for the sweet, sweet jam.

I whisked a few tablespoons of tahini in my standard (vegan) waffle batter and a few tablespoons more of black sesame seeds.  They didn't impart much extra flavour to the waffles but this was probably for the best; the kaya was much richer than I remembered and any more oily tahini would probably not have improved matters.

I confirmed one thing though - kaya is perfect on waffles!

(Any other ideas for a kaya-friendly waffle flavour?)

9 comments:

  1. As you know, I'm a fan of the coffee + kaya flavour combo, and I've also been known to mix it with peanut butter and spread it on toast. Not sure how that would translate into waffle, though!

    What about something tangy/zesty to cut through the kaya richness, like lime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaya for waffles! what an idea. I usually have it with sticky rice or toast so basically the kaya (srikaya as we call it) provides all the flavor.
    what about bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah - I love the idea of citrus waffles! Coffee sounds good too. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

    Hi thoughtsthatdance! I've made banana waffles already, so I know that they work well. :-) Silly me, I didn't think to try the kaya on them at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had Kaya myself but I'm imagining it would taste soo good with the black sesame. If you want to enhance the flavour of black sesame, try toasting it and grinding it into a powder to add to your batter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a new spice grinder, so that could definitely work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can now get kaya waffles in Malaysia. Which I dont remember ever seeing when I was growing up.
    Let me say that it is _very_ yummy. Almost as good as the kaya balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chai - I just googled kaya balls and they looked amazing!

      Delete
  7. What's more is that you get 4 for MYR$1!!!
    I was getting MYR$3.16 to the AUD$1. This is just this weekend past when my daughter and I were over in M'sia for the school holidays

    And we managed to polish off 22 between the 2 of us in 1 sitting, and this was like 1 hour after dinner. Without much effort at all I might add.

    I think my face has gone a bit more puffy from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am something like 15 minutes after dinner and I still want 22 kaya balls right now!

      Delete