Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 13, 2009: Coconut chocolate nut truffles

Others have already blogged about the wonderful vegan potluck held in Miss T's home last Saturday, so I'll just focus on what I made (noting along the way that Kristy's vegan chorizo was otherwordly in its tastiness). The theme for the event was 'new', and the easiest way for Cindy and I to do something new was for me to take care of the sweets and her to deal with savoury.

In the end, I was almost embarrassed to present my offering, chocolate nut truffles courtesy of Johanna, alongside the other stunning desserts - they were trivially simple to make, and just a tiny bit disappointing (at least when put up against white chocolate risotto and peanut butter icecream). I really liked the flavour of these little balls, but the texture was a letdown - they were a bit dry and powdery and were only really rescued by being served with a variety of delicious icecream to moisten them up. I'm not sure if I mismeasured something but they didn't have the gooiness of Johanna's version.

Anyway, here's the recipe - experiment with upping the proportion of liquids slightly.

Coconut chocolate nut truffles
(courtesy Green Gourmet Giraffe)
makes about 15 balls

3/4 cup desiccated coconut
3 heaped tablespoon tahini
3 heaped tablespoons almond butter
6 tablespoons ground almonds
2.5 tablespoons maple syrup
6 teaspoons cocoa
3 teaspoons cocoa nibs (optional)

It's barely even worth writing directions: you just put everything in a mixing bowl and stir it all together. That's it! That's your mixture. Roll it into golf-ball sized spheres of deliciousness and refigerate. And you're done. See - that's a shamefully straightforward effort for a potluck. I'll have to go for something a bit more complex next time.

PS: Mad props to Rachel for hosting us all - it must almost be our turn again.

4 comments:

  1. Nah, I reckon it's about my turn to have a potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I think these would have been delish with some of the peanut butter icecream

    sorry you weren't so impressed by these - they are the healthy cousin of grubs so I guess they have a bit more virtue and a bit less indulgent gooiness! I have experimented with other variations - quite enjoyed them with peanut butter and honey - hope it gives you a base for some fun and easy experimentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'd be great too, Lisa! It might even be nice to have a park-based one now that the weather's getting warmer. :-)

    Oh, they were Johanna! I wonder if the almond butter that we bought was just a bit too dry - peanut butter is always a winning option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the balance of super sweet and creamy, with harder, more bitter "grown-up" desserts like this one worked really well!

    ReplyDelete