Sunday, November 09, 2008

November 1, 2008: Three-shades-of-brown bubble slice

Leading up to our very long weekend away, the crew agreed that each couple would prepare a dinner, dessert and some lunch. Michael's already shown off the lip-smacking cashew curry he brought along for dinner, and this is an off-the-menu extra snack that I made. It's a variation on my old family favourite, bubble slice. I went for a different effect this time, hoping that walnuts and dates would complement the ground wattleseed that I wanted to include. I also replaced much of the butter and sweetener with some leftover coconut cream. It was a mixed success - the walnuts and dates worked together nicely, but I couldn't taste the wattleseed at all and there was too much of the rich binding ingredients for the amount of rice bubbles and nuts involved. Even so, there weren't any leftovers to contend with on our arrival home!

Three-shades-of-brown bubble slice

1 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup dates, chopped
3 cups rice bubbles
~120mL coconut cream
4 tablespoons golden syrup
4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
60g butter
1 tablespoon ground wattleseed

Grease a medium-large tray. In a large bowl, stir together the walnuts, dates and rice bubbles.

Melt the coconut cream, golden syrup, peanut butter and butter in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through the wattleseed.

Pour the sweet butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Press the mixture into the tray and refrigerate for at least an hour. Slice into squares and serve.

3 comments:

  1. your timing's amazing! I just walked out of the kitchen wondering if there was something interesting I could do with the ginormous box of rice bubbles in the cupboard - and here you emerge with bubble slice! can't wait to try it- the only difficult thing will be choosing which version to try first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used wattleseed - what sort of flavour does it add? I saw it in Woolies (Safeway) yesterday and was so tempted but like I said, never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, that's great Frances! I'd say there's no end of fruit/nut/sweetener combinations that would work in this recipe.

    Hiya AVAT. :-) Wattleseed's got a sort of hazelnut/coffee/chocolate flavour to it. Though it didn't really work out here, I loved it in these muffins.

    ReplyDelete