Friday, May 09, 2008

May 3, 2008: Quinoa with black beans and sweet potato

I wish I felt more effusive about this quinoa salad. I needed some new quinoa inspiration and something nourishing for a couple of weekend lunches. This recipe should have fit the bill - it has a very central American feel, with sweet potatoes and black beans, as well as a dressing of lime juice and chilli flakes. And yet, I was underwhelmed. I think it was just the floury-ness of the sweet potato, or perhaps I didn't season it all sufficiently.

I found the recipe at Yeah, That "Vegan" Shit. There it's credited to the Post Punk Kitchen forum, and from PPK back to Women's Health Magazine. It seems that everyone's been charmed by it but me, so don't let my indifference deter you from making it. It's the Beirut of quinoa salads.

3 comments:

  1. Shame about the salad. I tried quinoa for the first time last night, a protein-rich and low-GI alternative to couscous, and loved it! I think it tastes like tahini, my favourite of all spreads.

    xox Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel I might agree with you about this one but have found that quinoa in a soup works well - have tried lisa's kitchen's quinoa and corn soup which I might post on some time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I agree that it's an excellent substitute for couscous! If you haven't already, try hydrating it with stock rather than water for extra flavour. :-)

    Johanna, although I've enjoyed quinoa in several salads I haven't tried it in a soup. It definitely sounds worth a go.

    ReplyDelete