Friday, May 09, 2008

May 4, 2008: North Cafeteria

North is probably the trendiest cafe on the Rathdowne Village strip in Carlton North, with stylish little sketches covering the walls and a hip but laid-back vibe. We stumbled in at 9:30 on a Sunday morning to meet Mike and Jo and had no problems getting ourselves a prime table.

As usual, I got things underway with a flat white, which turned up fairly quickly and was the perfect Sunday morning pick-me-up.

The menu is quite veg-friendly, and I had a fair bit of trouble choosing between the breakfast bagel ($9.50) and the 'North' beans ($11.50). In the end, the beans won out - if only because they were the cafe's specialty. I've also had a hankering for some more white beans since being introduced to them at the wonderful A Minor Place. These came with herbs and silverbeet and were served up on some delicious sourdough toast. They were great, with some bits of leek thrown in and some herbaceous flavours. Even so, I think beans are probably best suited as a side - it was all a bit much for me by the end.

Cindy maintained the vaguely healthy theme (I'm considering my breakfast's lack of eggs 'healthy') with porridge ($7.90), filled with dates, apples, walnuts and cinnamon. There were plenty of walnuts and apple pieces to help prevent the usual mid-porridge boredom, and Cindy found it all filling without being overly stodgy.

North is another solid local breakfast option - the service was friendly and efficient, the menu was varied and veg-friendly. It's probably not in the top tier, but its a comfortable, well-located and tasty place well worth another visit. We truly are blessed with breakfast options around these parts.

Address: 717 Rathdowne Street, North Carlton
Phone: 9348 1276
Price: Veg breakfasts $4.50-$13.50

2 comments:

  1. I love the beans and have often wandered over to North if I've been working at home and have forgotten to eat. It is a healthy, tasty and filling dish (and vegan what is more) but I'd prefer it on toast or the bread to be on the side, not get soggy underneath the way it is served.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting place - we might have to head back to rathdowne Street soon so will keep an eye out for it - but i think I prefer tomatoey beans to white ones - I need some colour! :-)

    ReplyDelete