Saturday, February 16, 2008

February 13, 2008: White gazpacho

So I was after a light weeknight dinner, with greens and grapes in the fridge leftover from eating this salad on the previous night. Enter a white gazpacho recipe from Haalo of Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once. But its name and temperature were going to be a hard sell with Michael. I innocently suggested we try a "garlicky bread soup", he agreed, and we split the shopping. He wasn't thrilled when he discovered we'd be eating a cold soup that didn't contain any veges. But what did he think when he tasted it?

The white gazpacho was weird. But good. But weird. But GOOD. I could really see the attraction of serving it small in shot glasses as Haalo did - the fresh garlic is really punchy, too punchy to eat by the bowlful for me. (However Michael will eat garlic in almost any dosage...) I'd love some toned-down roasted garlic for the big-bowl version. The fresh greens and grapes were a great side, and they started me thinking about how this recipe might be transformed into a salad dressing.

Curious? You can get the recipe for yourself at Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm not sure this would be quite my thing either. Roasted garlic is good in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try making (or eating) a white gazpacho as the traditional tomato-based one has been on the menu this summer at my restaurant...but the idea that it literally contains no vegetables has been a deterrant for me.

    I like garlic...better roasted than raw, but I tend not to discriminate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, KJ, the world needs more roasted garlic. :-) I should just chuck a bulb in whenever I turn on the oven. (Although maybe not when I'm cake-baking...)

    Hi Dirty Flamingo! Yeah, it's not that nutrient-rich on its own but it's a great pair for a salad of bitter green leaves. Or as Haalo did, you can always slam a shot of it down raw as an appetiser. :-)

    ReplyDelete