Wednesday, September 11, 2013

East Elevation IV

Edit 02/01/2021: East Elevation is no longer trading as a cafe, but is available as a function venue.

September 6, 2013


It would be remiss of us to spend a month vegan-blogging without revisiting East Elevation. At least, that's what we told ourselves; we're rather fond of the place and would make almost any excuse to visit. EE have just held their second vegan five-course feast (it was pretty special from what we hear) and their daily brunch menu has some nice options too.


Michael ordered the Full Veggie ($18), where chipotle tempeh or mushrooms can be served in place of the standard eggs. The tempeh was smoky, saucy and an excellent choice, there were plenty of beans, a smattering of spinach and avocado, and Michael even deigned to eat the tomatoes. He reckons they could do better with the toast, but there was enough sauce across the plate to distract from the lack of a butter substitute.


For me, it was all about the warm rhubarb and coconut tapioca ($12). I liked but didn't love their previous incarnation of this dish, and now they've nailed it! Drizzled with coconut milk, the warm tapioca pearls need never be gluggy, while the stewed rhubarb, fresh strawberries and pistachios really work together. It's a cup of freshness, creaminess and something to chew, it's sweet and tangy but not sugary.


The tapioca also goes awfully well with a cup of Buddha's Tears tea ($4). I could inhale and sip and watch those tea leaves unfurl all morning, and I'm sure Michael felt several hours pass as I slowly drained my pot.


Though we've been to East Elevation many times, I still marvel at its light and space. It really is a lovely place to inhabit, especially on a quieter weekday morning. I've a history of scoffing at $18 breakfasts but have never complained while here. That could be down to the fine execution, the novelty of chipotle tempeh on a brunch menu, or the fact that we inevitably rack up a bill on takeaway croissants and Monsieur Truffe chocolate anyway.

____________

You can also read about one, two, three of our previous visits. East Elevation's daytime menu has received positive reviews on chilipadi's kitchen and Doughnut forget me!.
____________

East Elevation
351 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
9380 4915
veg dishes $6-18
facebook page

Accessibility: Excellent. A ramp on entry, great light, lots of space and a dedicated disabled toilet. Ordering happens at the table and payment at a reasonably low counter.

3 comments:

  1. Rhubarb makes me think of my mama. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Hannah! I've never seen my mama anywhere near the stuff, but rhubarb makes me happy anyway. ;-)

      Delete
  2. What IS going on with the toast at EE??
    Totally loving the tempeh option (not being a non-fermented-soy-eater I wish we saw this more often) but the toast is as fatal mistake in my book. A rich grainy bread would be so perfect here!

    ReplyDelete